Unsure what to do - if anything...

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by MoAnamCara, Apr 7, 2015.

1. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

So today I get one of those forwarded email things. I hate people doing that stuff.

Anyhow this one today was upsetting as it was referring to stamps from the usps, ordered by obama to create stamps celebrating a muslim holiday and blah blah blah. It was worded sooooo hatefully and just was pretty disgusting.

It has really upset me, moreso of because who sent it. I've been debating about replying and I looked into it, the stamps series is from 2013 and relate to flowers. That's it. Even if it wasn't, it doesn't matter. It's just hate.

I'm unsure if I should just let things be or should I really stand up and call them out on this bullshit/correct them on what they have forwarded? It's a bit complicated to explain who these people are to me, and I really don't wish to become involved in anything with them.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Sounds like it was an unkind and unpleasant message. :(

IF you were to reply at all, how about something quite non-reactive? "Thanks. I'm deleting your message now." Something like that kind of says, "I've read the tripe you sent and don't value it, so I'm deleting it."

And then ignore any further upsetting stuff they might choose to send. People who email or post things full of hate likely have too much time on their hands and too few brains to think before hitting Send. I say we should all spend time with people whose message is kindness and love, not hate.

3. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Thanks Acy - I may be better just letting things alone. I'm not comfortable with that however it may be for the best with the circumstances. Thanks again.

4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

One thing ot keep in mind is to make sure the email actually same from where you think it did. It is very easy to "spoof" an email address in spam emails and bots go around and collect emails from every site on the web plus all the social media and then spam by spoofing the email in the name of somebody they think knows you to increase the likelihood of you opening it. I would certainly confirm for certain that the person you think sent it did before getting overly upset with them....

5. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Very good point NYJmp.

These people tend to forward emails en masse. I am aware of their political standings etc. and normally I'll hit delete and go about my day. I think the fact this one was very, very hateful (and untrue) - it just hit a chord with me.

Thanks. I've let it be. :)