Unsure where to put this (Hallucinations)

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Terra, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terra

Terra Well-Known Member

Not sure if the post belongs here or in another thread - but I need to ask anyways.

I'm having Hallucinations, nothing huge as it only lasts for a few seconds each time. The problem is that they are getting more realistic lately, and it's of the type that either jumps towards me or lurk behind my back.

I'm not on any medications, and I've never taken any other than the regular painkiller (then aprox 1 every year), or any drugs, I also get alot of sleep - so why the fuck do I have them?!

When I was younger I actually enjoyed them, it worked like inspiration for my fantasy. But then it was also harmless, simple shapes clinging to the wall or jumping around me. I've had it as long as I can remember, but it's the last 5years they have gotten scary.

not sure if it affects my dreams, but I also have more nightmares than before and I had an extremely realistic dream about being eaten alive just a few days ago. What could be causing this? and is there anything I can do to stop it...
  2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I would only really be able to suggest to see a doctor. I dont know of any holistic ways of dealing with this.
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Hallucinations are an aspect of psychosis. Given that you're here, that's not entirely surprising that you should have psychotic symptoms. Please see a doctor and get a referral to a psychiatrist.

And I know that "psycho" has some really negative connotations, but psychosis is a medical disorder and should be viewed neutrally.
  4. Terra

Terra Well-Known Member

I just really really do not trust doctors - and that one psyc just made me wanna scream and run out of there over the stupidity that person as born with. Trying to pass me of as "a regular teenager with hormones".

I guess I've always thought I could just shrivel up if it got worse, and getting help is much harder now that I'm over 18 (nothings free and there is no support system either... because it's all about those teenagers with their hearthbreak)
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Some psychiatrists, just like the general population, are absolute fucktards.

Most are quite competent, however.

You need to see a psychiatrist. There are no two ways about that. Do it on your own while it's not bad, rather than being arrested and imprisoned (essentially... A forced visit to a psych ward is worse than being a convicted felon, really - they got a trial and have rights) when it gets worse.
  6. Terra

Terra Well-Known Member

I think I figured out a trigger for why it's more now - stress.
    I wrote because it got serious bad the last two weeks - but for this time I've also worked 11h every weekday, but I only got 2days left before I go back to my 6h a day. So if it don't get better the next 5-6 days I'll see if I can look someone up.

I really don't want to, but it is as you say Aoeu - better to go myself while I can. (Also they don't don't have a psych ward for prison or prisoners - so they send them to the "psych hospital" together with the general puplic who is too ill to take care of themselves). Writing down the issueses before going into session seem to have worked for others, so might do that since I have a tendency to talk away my problems.

Hopefully It'll get better again, if not I'll see if I can do anything without meds, because I really need the "happy" illusions to have anything to keep me going really.
  7. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

I see things too.. And hear and feel things. And I get paranoid and delusional. I finally told my doctor and she's just been trying anyipsychotics to help me. I'm not sure what diagnosis she gave me for it, but she's never forcibly put me in the hospital for it. So I wouldn't worry too much, but I would tell someone. It can really help.
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, you won't be forcibly hospitalized for any psychiatric symptom, you have to be a danger to yourself or others. But that's frequently a side effect of psychotic episodes. If you're not in touch with reality you can't be sure you'll be safe, this is why you need to get it investigated.
  9. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say thats most things are free after about 1800 kr a year, docs/psych appointments, most meds (på blå resept). I got to that in march. :tongue:

Writing them a note is a good idea, and ask to be treated as an adult. They won't put you in psych ward unless you are a danger to yourself, here they won't even then. I'm hearing voices and stuff, and meds have really helped me in the past.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.