• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Practical Advice Unwanted in society...

I am a registered sex offender. I was in a dark place and made mistakes. I spent 3 years in prison and 1 year in a halfway house. I worked hard and was released 1 and a half years early from probation. Now it’s 5 years since i got out. My job of 5 years is no more because of the pandemic. I’ve been on so many interviews. So many 2nd interview, for jobs I’m more than qualified for. But no one will give me a chance. No one will even talk to me when the background check comes back. Won’t return my calls so I can explain how much I’ve achieved and overcome since I got out of prison. I won’t even mention trying to find or build a relationship. Even though I’ve legally paid my debt to society...I am not allowed to be on social media. I will say that the Supreme Court ruled it’s unconstitutional to bar someone, even me legally from using social media. So that just means all the platforms put it in their terms of agreement.

in some states, it’s impossible to legally have a residence. Try searching for any residence thats at least 2000 ft from any kind of school, park, playground or daycare. I challenge you. Now reguardless of how you feel about what I’ve written here. Ask yourself how you really feel on the subject. Be honest with yourself. And then honestly let me know what you think. Do I deserve a second chance? Do I deserve a place in society today. Do I even deserve to live?

Were all together

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I have had the personal experience of working with ex felons in the past. In my opinion, many of them are unfairly treated in society as far as trying to make it on the outside. I worked with a man who served a year sentence for a minor crime and when his background check came back, he was gone. But, he was one of the hardest workers there. Don't give up. There are some employers who will give you a chance. So, don't throw in the towel just yet.

I have had the personal experience of working with ex felons in the past. In my opinion, many of them are unfairly treated in society as far as trying to make it on the outside. I worked with a man who served a year sentence for a minor crime and when his background check came back, he was gone. But, he was one of the hardest workers there. Don't give up. There are some employers who will give you a chance. So, don't throw in the towel just yet.
Thank you... I’ve not given up yet...

Legate Lanius

Try not to kill yourself 2020 challenge.
I don't see how you not getting a job makes anything better for your previous victim. I have posted some really distasteful humor/satire in the past online that I'm sure would make me unemployable if an employer saw that. Did some awful and vulgar stand-up acts, too. Even if it was a good while back, that would make me even less hireable than I am now. I am in a similar situation in that I have spent almost all of my time after high-school basically being a NEET (not employed, in education or training), the two jobs I managed to get I quit or got fired from. Dropped out of uni twice. This makes me basically the last person on the list for even a cashier/janitor/toilet cleaner job, I'm probably even less hireable than a sex-offender with a good resume.

I think the biggest problem is that there are too few jobs. Period. There shouldn't be 50 people lining up for every opportunity to clean the McDonald's toilets but sadly there are. We are living in hell and we keep increasing the number of people while decreasing the number of jobs.

Have you thought about trying to go into business for yourself--something with little or no startup costs? I know you have some additional hurdles & limitations you'd need to think through, but I would encourage you to give it some thought. We're entering into a whole new economy. There are jobs being created to meet needs we couldn't have even imagined just a few years ago. Maybe an inspired thought or concept would give you an income & added boost of self worth. Hang in there.

Have you thought about trying to go into business for yourself--something with little or no startup costs? I know you have some additional hurdles & limitations you'd need to think through, but I would encourage you to give it some thought. We're entering into a whole new economy. There are jobs being created to meet needs we couldn't have even imagined just a few years ago. Maybe an inspired thought or concept would give you an income & added boost of self worth. Hang in there.
Thankyou very Much for the vote of confidence.
it’s a nice idea in concept, however every website that I need a password for I have to share with the state police. Also I’m not allowed on any sales apps as they are considered social media. I’m not trying to be dark. But these are just more of the daily restri I face, even though it’s not considered punishment.

KM76710

KM stands for Kangaroo Manager
SF Supporter
Although I can be a harsh one judging any criminal activities it seems like you have been and are trying to work hard to better yourself, so yes, I say a second chance and hope that things go well for you.

Harmony

SF Supporter
While you have done your time in prison, not being able to find a job easily or being able to live where you desire is hardly comparable to what's been inflicted upon the individual on the receiving end of the sexual assault. It's not for me to decide should you cease to live and I'm certainly not against second chances but honestly, when you've done something to ruin someone's life forever, you're in no position to complain about the presence of societal barriers and obstacles which have been placed making things difficult for you.

While you have done your time in prison, not being able to find a job easily or being able to live where you desire is hardly comparable to what's been inflicted upon the individual on the receiving end of the sexual assault. It's not for me to decide should you cease to live and I'm certainly not against second chances but honestly, when you've done something to ruin someone's life forever, you're in no position to complain about the presence of societal barriers and obstacles which have been placed making things difficult for you.
So even though according to the constitutional requirements of my charges, I served my time. Your ok with the continued restrictions and let’s be honest punitive actions that all sex offenders are burdened with. No other crime, including murder have these.
plus the facts are simple. please educate yourself on the facts.
https://www.aclumich.org/en/press-r...ion-regarding-sex-offender-registry-act-while

Let me also just add that “ not being able to choose where I want to live” doesn’t exactly do it justice, when your talking about local councils and lawmakers setting the boundaries at 2000 to 2500ft. This literaly allows for no legal residence with in an entire county.
https://www.themarshallproject.org/2018/10/03/banished
https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/miami-dade-brownsville-homeless-sex-offenders/143396/

Walker

Admin-a-monkey
ADMIN
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Hi there
I'm sorry you've found yourself searching for housing and employment after serving the time of your sentence. It really is a bit unfair in the sense that SO follows a person more than any other crime in the US.
What type of job did you do before you went to prison?
Where do you currently live?
Do you have family support?

Auri

🎸🎼Rock Star🎼🎸
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I'm sorry things are made so hard for you. Yes, you deserve to live and a second chance. It's not gonna be easy from what I can read here, but I believe you can get through this. You can always find support here. Take care.

Sunspots

Pffffeckn amazin
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Hi. I'm sorry things are so tough for you but I'm glad you found us. Your honesty took real courage which will serve you well even though it might not feel like it right now. Everyone deserves a second chance and you also deserve as much help and support as anyone else - I'm sorry that doesn't seem to be happening.

Hey there @Unwanted in society
glad you found us here. Its a good place. Welcome.

how do i feel about a sex offender? For me, it depends on the crime. Its unfair to lump everyone together.
I knew some people with the designation. I know there are some rules that make it nearly illegal to breathe in that area (City/state).
I have a heartbreaking memory of trying to help a dying (so) man get basic care in the last few days of his life. 💔
In all honesty there are some offenders that should not have freedom. There are also some that should have the designation removed. Its a crummy system.

now- onto jobs. Felons have a hard time finding work. I have to say, i have never thought about the so portion. I did a few seaches. My best advice is to search on job boards. type “convicted sex offender” in “jobs”. This worked at the Simplyhired.com job site.

idk about this site, but might be worth a look. :
http://sexoffenderonestopresource.com/jobs-felons-can-have/employment/

Hi there
I'm sorry you've found yourself searching for housing and employment after serving the time of your sentence. It really is a bit unfair in the sense that SO follows a person more than any other crime in the US.
What type of job did you do before you went to prison?
Where do you currently live?
Do you have family support?
My family is emotionally supportive yes. Let me say that I am blessed to be in a state where their pretty much hands off. I’m approaching my 10 th year on the registry. In just over a year I can petition to get removed. I’m just losing hope and energy to make it til that possible end. Everything is about to fall away after all of my hard work to be honest just stay invisible. If things don’t change in the next month... we’ll I’ll be living in my car by middle of January.
as an answer to your other question. I’ve got 30 years in retail and 10+ years in management.

Hi. I'm sorry things are so tough for you but I'm glad you found us. Your honesty took real courage which will serve you well even though it might not feel like it right now. Everyone deserves a second chance and you also deserve as much help and support as anyone else - I'm sorry that doesn't seem to be happening.
I know that their are supportive individuals who do understand, and are working towards the betterment of these laws. It’s unfortunately not a popular stance to take, especially in the USA with certain political bases.
thank you again. Honestly

Hey there @Unwanted in society
glad you found us here. Its a good place. Welcome.

how do i feel about a sex offender? For me, it depends on the crime. Its unfair to lump everyone together.
I knew some people with the designation. I know there are some rules that make it nearly illegal to breathe in that area (City/state).
I have a heartbreaking memory of trying to help a dying (so) man get basic care in the last few days of his life. 💔
In all honesty there are some offenders that should not have freedom. There are also some that should have the designation removed. Its a crummy system.

now- onto jobs. Felons have a hard time finding work. I have to say, i have never thought about the so portion. I did a few seaches. My best advice is to search on job boards. type “convicted sex offender” in “jobs”. This worked at the Simplyhired.com job site.

idk about this site, but might be worth a look. :
http://sexoffenderonestopresource.com/jobs-felons-can-have/employment/
Thankyou for taking the time to put an honest and thought out response together.
let me just say that you may be absolutely correct that some may need to be kept from ever seeing freedom, however this needs to all be covered within the criminal end of it. Their simply cannot be, let me stress cannot be... another unconstitutional body that decides outside of constitutional law that get to decide their must be more punishment. Their is no such thing as different classes of citizens. Your either a citizen and have all the given constitutional rights or your Not.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$90.00
Goal
$255.00