Up late/seeing thing.

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by goodoldval., Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodoldval.

goodoldval. New Member

I didn't really know where to put this, but I figured it fits
    best in this topic. Anyway, I'm 15 and a
    freshman in high school. I have a really hard time
    trying to sleep. I've been taking 3mg Melatonin for
    a while now, but it does nothing. I'm also taking Lexapro for depression.
    Both at night. Neither are working very well. I get very paranoid at night that there is someone or something in my room that's out to get me. It sounds so silly, I know, but it scares me so much. I've actually scared myself with the thought so much that I'm seeing/hearing things along with the paranoia. I see faces and animals, etc. The objects my room "turn" into things. For example, a floor lamp might "turn" into a big long snake. I KNOW the things and voices aren't really there. But they scare the living hell out of me to the point where I'm hiding under the covers and crying like a baby. I even sleep with a lamp on now to keep from seeing things. That is what keeps me up, and I don't know how to get rid of it. Help!? ;/

2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Well... I can tell you that you are not crazy- because I've experienced the very same things for years.
    I've had insomnia since I was 12 or so; possibly for a time even before then and I do see things-- mostly at night.
    I've slept with a nightlight of some sort most of my life, purely for a comfort and security... and I tend to use music as a way to keep myself calm.
    Some suggestions for you:

-Do not drink coffee or caffeinated sodas within 4 hours of bedtime
    -Play a cd or some music on your computer at a low volume - SO low that you have to strain to listen.
    The straining to listen becomes comforting and normal once you've relaxed and you focus on the lyrics or the tune of whatever it is you're listening to.
    -Do not sleep with a clock next to you or facing you. It becomes a distraction and keeps you awake because you want to check the time and you wonder 'how long have I been awake? Why am I not sleeping?'
    -Electronics should be 6 feet away from your sleeping area- or just on the other side of your room if your room is small. The closer they are to you when you are trying to sleep the more likely it is that the electromagnetic fields from them are stimulating your brain and muscles, keeping you awake.
    -Try drinking a 'sleepy time' tea (no sugar) 20 minutes before you go to bed

Melatonin is not supposed to be used on a long term basis... usually it is used by people who are experiencing jet lag as an aid to get their sleeping pattern in check. If it takes you more than 20 minutes to fall asleep when you lay down and TRY to sleep; you more than likely have a sleep disorder and should look into taking a night study at a sleep clinic.

3. goodoldval.

goodoldval. New Member

Well thank you! Glad I'm not the only one! My clock beside my bed is broken, so that really hasn't been a problem. I think it may actually be the light that is keeping me up, but I'm too scared to turn it
    off. If someone sleeps over, then I'm fine with the lights off and have no trouble sleeping. It's only when I'm alone.

4. Lexicon

Lexicon Well-Known Member

Hey hey, I see stuff LOADS when I can't sleep! Used to think I could see ghosts... now that was weird :p xxxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.