Update (well this is it)

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by malek, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malek

malek Well-Known Member

I haven't been here in a while, but let me give an update if there are still some that remember me.

I am/was a huge drug addict. My drug of choice was marijuana.

I started smoking when i was 12 years old, i am now 27.

at the hight of my addiction i was smoking a little over 1 ounce a week so approximately 160$ - 200$ a week.

well last monday, march 16th me and my wife smoke our last joint at 11pm.

Since then we have remained clean.

For those who know marijuana addiction you will also know that the first 3 days are a living hell, and it slowly diminishes after that.

I had been trying to stop on a monthly basis for the past 5 years but we would always go back on the second or the 3rd day.

What changed this time ... no idea ... i would like to think that because me and my spouse are getting married in september that this motivated us.

But i know that's probably bull. I decided not to over analyze this. im happy enough with the results, i dont need to know why it worked, simply that it did

The craving are still there (somewhat) but now i realize i was smoking to control my stress level.

I have started to do yoga to replace weed as a relaxant ... not sure how long the yoga thing will last. I'm looking at other relaxing method.

For everyone attempting to quit, be weary of the impulse to replace the weed by something else (alchool) im not an alchoolis (i probably drink 1 a month and i usually never get drunk) but even then the impulse to drink to calm my self is there, be weary of this trap ... so i also decided to not touch alchool until i a msure i am over my weed addiction for good in order to limit any chance of substitution.

Anyway im at 8 days and counting, never again will i be led by the temptation, i was at a party on saturday where everyone smoked and i was not even tempted to try it. The feeling of freedom is simply too good.

stopping is the second hardest thing i've had to do (the first hardest being loosing 160 lbs)

for those that despair ... dont. It took me and my spouse about 40 tries over the last 5 years to finally stop.

As long as you keep trying, even if you falter all the time, the fact that you keep trying is what is important.

have a great day, Malek.

2. DropKick

DropKick Active Member

Great to see you broke the habit, I will still try.

Hope since you posted this you have stayed clean.

3. Pad

Pad Well-Known Member

I stopped 3 years ago and still have huge cravings =/

I've even gone looking for some the last couple of months, i need the peace i got with it. The only thing that stops me is knowing where to get it now as I broke all ties. I dont know if the cravings ever really go away

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.