Urgent: chance of getting pregnant?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Hurted, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Yesterday morning my GF should start to take a new pack of contraception pills (after 1 week of not taking them because of period). She forgot to take it and we realised that after sex, so that's when she took it (12 hours too late).
    Now were afraid that there are chances she could get pregnant. It's the first time that sometimes like this happened, she never forgot to take one of them before... So, is the pill still affective, if it's taken 12 hours too late? Is there any difference if you forget to take the 1st pill of new pack or any pill during the 3 week period of taking them?
  2. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

best best would be for her to call her doctor and ask the question since they should be familiar with the specific meds she's taking

from a purely biological viewpoint - the vast majority of women won't produce a viable egg immediately following their period which should leave both of you in the clear - but i'm not an expert

definitely check with her doctor
  3. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

I would say unlikely, however in doubt always consult a doctor. She's just her one week break so the egg would have been expelled from her body by this point, however there is a slim chance of another being produce (though that is extremely small)
  4. oval

oval Well-Known Member

typically its ok as long as you still take the pill within 24 hours. if she has been on the pill for a while, at least 6 months, it souldnt put you at a risk if she missed one in the 3rd week. that is what my doctor told me.
  5. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thanks for all replys. The thing is - i read somewhere that missing one pill is not a big deal, however, if it's first or the last one, then chances of getting pregnant are much higher. Well, i will be really nervous for the next 3 weeks. Unfortunately, there is no other option than to wait for 3 weeks and hope her period will be normal...
  6. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

The only certain contraceptive is no sex. I'd still get checked by a doc because of the uncertainty.