Urgent question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some urgent advice please and don't know where else to ask - if this is the wrong place I am sorry but could you point me in the right direction?

If someone makes a suicidal attempt and then actually changes their mind and goes to a&e - will the next of kin be called (they are an adult) even if the person is aware they have done wrong and whilst it isn't life threatening, they do need to stay in over night? By the way this is about the UK

Thanks for any help

doityourself

Im in US and only time they call is when you are in danger of hurting yourself or someone else.

If youve done something please seek medical now, this is not the way you want your life to end, and if you worried about hurting someone then you have people who care and love you, call them please and tell them whats happening.

Thanks - I have done something stupid and feel like I should go to the hospital - but the thing that is stopping me is that I don't want them to call my next of kin - I want to go there, make sure there is no long lasting damage, come home and get on with getting better. If there is a possibility that next of kin is called then I won't go and can't seem to find a definite answer to it :(

doityourself

Thanks - I have done something stupid and feel like I should go to the hospital - but the thing that is stopping me is that I don't want them to call my next of kin - I want to go there, make sure there is no long lasting damage, come home and get on with getting better. If there is a possibility that next of kin is called then I won't go and can't seem to find a definite answer to it :(
Hon, if youve done something that cant be undone, please get to a hospital. You need to face the what ifs and the whys, without that arent you scared that next time they wont have the chance to make that call?

Do you think you could make the call instead of letting them? that way you can explain it and not depend on someone else trying to?

I don't want anyone to know that I have tried it - I'd honestly rather die than have them know - I think I might just go and take the chance - if they see I am lucid they should listen to me right?

Hi - just wanted to come back and update. I called nhs direct to find out if it was necessary for me to go to hospital and they sent an ambulance as had taken quite a bit apparently. I was admitted and kept in for observations but noone called anyone (although they did try and persuade me to get someone but I refused).

I am now under the crisis & home resolution team and hating them!!!

Thanks meroko!!

I hate the way they treat me - like I am some kind of child. Just because I have depression and ptsd doesn't take my brain or intelligence away from me. The fact they want to come and 'take me for a walk' everyday - I am more than capable of going for a walk if I want to, I just don't want to at a pre-determined time by them.

They also seem to want to put you in to a box - eg, they think I don't go out socially anymore because what happened to me did on a night out. No it really isn't, I don't go out socially anymore cos I have depression and don't want to get out of bed nevermind go on a night out. Just hating the way they are treating me :(

I can feel with you. Nevertheless it's making sense what they're doing.
It's proved that sport's helping to get along with the depression - even to go for a walk! Often people who suffer from depression loose their daily structure so they're trying to give some structure to you.

How long will this team (don't really know what kind of offer this is..) stay with you? Can't you get out of this?

starryeyed

Im in ireland.they ring the family here.
Mine signed me in against my will.
I dont know bout england.i asked them not to ring.they went against my wishes.
I hope you feel better.i dont know how youll get round it

That's the thing though, I do go for a walk everyday but when I feel like it not when they give me an appointment (if that makes sense).

I understand about structure, it just feels they have a process and if you don't fit that mould then tough you still have to do what they say and if anything it is making me feel worse!!

I'm not sure what country you are in but in the UK they have a crisis team which comes to your house as often as they feel you need if they feel you are an at risk patient. It is basically an alternative to being in hospital - they try to avoid that as much as possible. It is a short term thing (up to 6 weeks) so I should just get on with it but it is winding me up so much I'm not sure I can!!

Hi Starry eyed - thanks for your reply - luckily the original post was last thurs and I went in and they didn't call my family so that was fine in the end!!

Just read your next post (must have crossed posts!!) no probs - thanks for the input though

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00