URGENT: worried about a friend...please respond. i'm lost.

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by weezerfan084, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weezerfan084

weezerfan084 Member

My best friend just told me that sh'e not going to be around much longer. when I asked her to tell me what was bothering her she says she doesn't want to talk about it. She has mentioned killing herself in the past, but I was always able to calm her down and get her to talk about how she was feeling, but this time it's different. All I asked her to do if she does decide to commit suicide is to just come by here and let me know so that i'd be at least able to say goodbye to her, and she won't do that. All she seems to be concerned about is me following her lead and killing myself if she does. I told her that if she doesn't talk to me about it that i'm going to call 911 b/c I won't let her die. Then she turns around and says that she just wants to go to sleep, but I don't know if I believe her, since I did try to kill myself yesterday and told every1 around me the same line that she told me so that no1 would bother checking on me. I tried calling the suicide hotline for some information on what to do, and the only advice they can give me is to get in touch with her parents and tell them to keep an eye on her, but I have no way of getting in touch with them at all, and as far as I know she is at home by herself. I would go over there, but I have no car and there is no public transportation to get me to where she is so I can at least be with her. She won't tell me anything about if she has a plan or when or where she wants to do this. I am scared to call 911 though because she has made these threats before but eventually snapped out of it, and I don't want to anger her with me even more than she already is. She refuses to get help of any sort because she says she's tried it and all the psychologist wants to talk about is her relationship with her ex which makes her even more upset. She also refuses to take any type of medication to help her moods b/c when she was younger she saw how her father was when he was on meds, and she believes that it was an over treatment of psych meds that ended up killing her father. She even got me to come off of my meds for bi-polar because she was so afraid that I was being over medicated. and to tell you the truth I have felt so much better with her in my life and I don't get too up or down, and I myself am starting to believe that sometimes it really is just the people that you are around that can make symptoms come out more. I'm pretty sure that she's not in immediate danger right now. but any info on how to help her without speaking to a professional or putting her on meds (which like I said b4, she'd refuse). I am just really concerned about it going too far one day and her acting on her impulses. She is a very impulsive person and she really does scare me sometimes. There is no1 that I can talk to about this. I tried asking my mother for advice and she has no idea, and talking to her mother about it is absolutely out of the question...I think if I did talk 2 her about it that would push my friend over the edge. PLZ give some helpful advice. Thank You.
  2. Screaminginsilence

Screaminginsilence Well-Known Member

Tough one, i would find a way to get over there - taxi?

Call her all the time, msg her, if it were my friend i would say 'you can talk to me, the police or your parents' but thats quite harsh - you know your friend, what do you think she wants you to say?
  3. weezerfan084

weezerfan084 Member

thank you for ur fast reply. I did get my butt over there...had my mom take me to a bus that goes by her. i'm with her now and she says she's feeling better now that there is someone with her. I just worry about the day when I can't get to her. i'm not exactly middle class and no1 in my house is working currently so money for a cab would be out of the question. sorry to have bothered you with this, it's just I was really worried about her and I really didn't know where else to turn to for some advice. doing the best I can to cheer her up a bit and make her realize that things will get better if she gives them a chance to. =)
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Next time phone crisis and tell them your friend is suicidal and they will get her the support she needs to stay well better a live friend who is a little angry then one that is gone or harmed Call crisis next time and let them get her help she needs.
  5. assek

assek Well-Known Member

If it happens again, i would call 911. better to be safe than sorry. and sometimes people say they dont want to talk about it and shut themselves away, but on the inside they are screaming out for someone to help.
  6. kote

kote Account Closed

glad this worked out well in the end.

figure out together an action plan for both of you if things go belly up again in the future and what is justifiable cause to do certain things.

write out a survival plan when the mist clears.

good luck and good health to you both.
  7. weezerfan084

weezerfan084 Member

thank you all so much. some very good ideas. esp. the "survival plan" =) gonna talk to her about this and try to work something out with her so that I can really know in the future if she mentions something like this again if she is serious or just trying to vent out her frustration and anger.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.