Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by mattymatt, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattymatt

mattymatt Member

I think i've done really well because its been about 3 months (roughly) since i last cut. Which for me, is an acheivment plus i'm under a lot of stress which makes it even mor of an achievement.
    The thing is that it isn't getting any easier, i have urges everyday i just manage to distract myself. I'm wondering i guess if any one else is the same. and if you have stopped completely does it get easier in time?
  2. Bluey

Bluey Active Member

I don't and have never cut. I sometimes wonder if it would make me feel better. A passing thought. But then I read posts like yours and see it can be addictive so I don't think that is anything I could do.

I have no advice for you. Wish I did. Is there no one you can call for help to talk to where you are.

I hope you don't start cutting again you seem to be doing so well.

The only way I can relate to your post is I used to smoke. I know how hard it is to stop a habit that you believe is making you feel happier. So with comparing it in my own mined like that you have done amazingly well for 3 months. Hopefully you can keep that strength and make it 6 months and then start to forget each day about the thoughts of cutting.

I wish you luck and good health.
  3. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

It does get easier as time passes. Cutting is an addiction as you feel a release and you feel better. What distraction techniques do you use? I sometimes try the elastic band or hair band on the wrist and flick it when I feel stressed or frustrated, or hold ice cubes in my hands or press then against my forehead should I need to feel like I need to be punished and feel pain but without causing an damage. it does sometimes work :)
  4. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Years ago, when I first tried to stop, it seemed liked everything gave me an urge to, but I didn't find that at all this time. The last time I self harmed was in Feb. and it has gotten easier to deal with. When I'm stressed, I also use an elastic band and it does really help.
    Good job on the 3 months. It does get easier
  5. mattymatt

mattymatt Member

I'm glad to hear it does get easier.

I don''t really use any particular distraction tecniques i just play video games, try to chat online, beat up a pillow or go for a walk really. So far it seems to have worked well.
  6. clairedelune

clairedelune Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're in good control of your urges.
  7. kizzybaby

kizzybaby Well-Known Member

It may not seem it yet, but I PROMISE you, it does get easier the longer you manage and the more you learn and grow inbetween. Keep trying, you will get there in your own time. x
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.