US and British ally Saudi Arabia sentences 13 yr old Girl to 90 lashes

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Bob26003, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Saudi girl, 13, sentenced to 90 lashes after she took a mobile phone to school

By Mail Foreign Service
    Last updated at 12:45 AM on 21st January 2010
    Comments (330)
    Add to My Stories

A 13-year-old Saudi schoolgirl is to be given 90 lashes in front of her classmates after she was caught with a mobile camera phone.

The girl, who has not been named, was also sentenced to two months in jail by a court in the eastern city of Jubail.

She had assaulted her headmistress after being caught with the gadget which is banned in girl schools, said Al-Watan, a Saudi newspaper. The kingdom's use of such punishments has been widely condemned by human rights organisations.

Brutal: public floggings, such as in this archive picture, are a common punishment handed down by religious courts in Saudi Arabia

Three years ago 16 schoolchildren, aged between 12 and 18, were each sentenced to between 300 and 500 lashes for being aggressive to a teacher.

Under Saudi's Sharia or Islamic law, flogging is mandatory for a number of moral offences such as adultery or being alone in the company of an unrelated person of the opposite sex. But it can also be used at the discretion of judges as an alternative or in addition to other punishments.

Al-Watan said a court in the northeastern Gulf port of Jubail had sentenced the girl to 90 lashes inside her school, followed by two months' detention.

The punishment is harsher than tha dished out to some robbers and looters.

Saudi Arabia, a leading US ally in the Middle East, is an absolute monarchy controlled by the Al-Saud ruling tribe, and lacks any legal code.

Absolute monarchy: King Abdullah, ruler of the oil-rich state, meeting Gordon Brown on a 2007 visit to Downing Street

King Abdullah has promoted some social reforms since taking the throne in 2005 but diplomats say he is held back by religious clerics and princes.

Cinemas and music concerts are banned, while many restaurants and even some shopping centres cater to families only, especially on holidays.

Religious police roam streets to make sure no unrelated men and women mix.

The Saudi court system is exclusively controlled Wahahbi/Salafi clerics, and bans the employment of non-Salafi citizens, especially as judges.

Saudi Arabia is the world's leading country in the use of torture-by-flogging, public beheadings and publically crucifying condemned prisoners.

The country crucified two people in 2009, including one in the capital Riyadh during President Barak Obama’s visit last April.

In September, 20 Saudi teenagers who ransacked shops and restaurants were publicly flogged.

Newspapers reported that the teenagers received at least 30 lashes each in a public square.

Most of the hijackers in the September 11 attacks in 2001 came from Saudi Arabia.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Saudi girl, 13, sentenced to 90 lashes after she assaulted a teacher

If you know what the rules are, and you know what the punishment is, then you've got to wonder if your phone is that important.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2010
  3. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

She won't do that again. Poor girl.
    Did anyone read about that Prince in the UAE who was filmed torturing a man who tricked him out of £5000 worth of grain? Parts of the film are on the net. The victim is bound hand and foot, and has sand stuffed into his mouth... salt poured in wounds on his backside... and is slowly run over by a 4x4 vehicle several times... all with the help of uniformed Police. I'm not even joking. The Prince admitted to it - at least he's honest. Can just imagine the immigrants mumbling to eachother "F*ck that for a game of soldiers, let's go to Europe"
  4. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

It seems harsh to us but to them it's a commonplace punishment. It should make an example out of her for the other classmates and I'm not going to question their laws.

I didn't even know Saudi kids have mobile phones. And camera phones no less! It's surprising.
  5. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

That's realpolitik for you. In the end, Saudi Arabia's strategic value outweighs it's considerable clashing with our ingrained values.

However, one could argue that the burden this relationship has on our image - by feeding cynical terrorists like Bin Laden - is starting to overwhelm our strategic benefits as well.

There is change that is being slowly but surely introduced in Saudi Arabia. There are moderates and reformists in both the grassroot and elite levels alike. It's a tough call, and it'll likely take a lot of time, but the spark is there.
  6. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I used to know two Saudi siblings, we went to the same school in US years ago. They were modern... Of course, they had left Saudi Arabia! The laws of that country is scary.
    Mutawaeen will attack you if you are a woman dressed "inappropriate" in public (= no burka, niqab) :( they have moved back now, just the thought of this Saudi cute and nice girl in a burka scares the hell out of me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.