using smilies

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by IV2010, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I see a lot of negative stuff on here about using the emoticons in posts...
    mostly people saying they are a useless way of offering support..

I disagree..
    If someone takes the time to reply, open the smilie page, find an appropriate emote and posts it, it helps me enormously..
    even if it's just a *hug*

at least they took the time to show they care even if they didn't know what to say ..

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'd have to agree, even a hug emote shows the OP that the person replying has read it and cares :)

3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

4. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

5. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

:turtle::hamster::hazel::sheep2::zombie:

6. Illusion

Illusion Well-Known Member

Emoticons are not a bad way of offering support As a matter of fact, I think they bring a bit more of happiness into posts. Without them, posts seem more stern to me. The hug ones always warm my heart.

7. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

Some people don't know what to say but an emote shows that they care enough to respond.
    I can't figure out how to insert them!

8. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:thumbup:

9. sdeemer93

sdeemer93 Active Member

:nice::grouphug:

10. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I quite like the SF emoticon things. Most other sets/websites smilies seem to piss me off....probly because the SF ones are based around words....not various different signs found around the keyboard :laugh:.

11. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

:Leiaha: i am relatively new to using forums - I agree with the op -

I mean isnt that giraffe so cute...

12. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

:lol!:

13. Stripe

Stripe Well-Known Member

Sometimes a smilie says everything that needs to be said.

:sf:

14. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

It can just seem a bit lazy at times. Like giving someone a gift card for their birthday instead of something personal and meaningful.

That said, I think that smilies, used judiciously, can express shades of meaning that would be awkward or impossible in normal writing. One of the things I love the most about Lojban is its system of "attitudinals," which are essentially formalized written/spoken emoticons. English is great for pointing out that the sky is blue, but something like "the sky is blue, and that makes me very happy and a little bit nostalgic" is difficult to convey gracefully.

15. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Well-Known Member

I think if used in context, there is nothing wrong with them at all. To me it shows that a person has taken the time to think about what they want to say and to personalise it a little. That means a great deal.

Some people may not be so great with words, but offering up an emoticon in the form of a :hug: can be enough to make a real difference to how a person feels. There is no bad there.

16. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Eh, I guess. Personally, I can't imagine a situation where ":hug:" by itself would make me feel the slightest bit better. It just seems like an empty gesture; you could :hug: anybody, in any situation where they're feeling down, regardless of the details, and it would be appropriate. No need to actually give their problems due consideration or offer any normative content; if you see someone who's got the blues, just give them a nice pre-packaged :hug: and it'll all be just fine.

I guess that sounds harsh. If an unaccompanied smiley honestly makes someone feel better, then I'm glad. And maybe I'm just too jaded or whatever. But to me, a mere expression of emotion, without any further indication that you actually give a damn, is like giving a hungry person a bowl of sugar instead of some real food.

17. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

There are many times when I cannot express myself because my brain seems frozen and that is where the smileys are a great way to say that I do care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.