Utterly Lonely

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by mulberrypie, Feb 21, 2015.

1. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

even around people. does anyone feel this way too? any tips on how to escape this?
  2. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Make friendships with people IRL, take up hobbies, go to local events, cut down on being on the internet chat rooms and games for so long, learn a new skill, find local meetups of people with similar interests.

The social part of that is easier said than done, but unless you plan on being alone for another ten years, you have to take steps and go into the world where real life happens. Because none of it happens sitting on a computer all the time unless its your job.
  3. Aether

Aether Slave of the SDS

I can relate perfectly to what you're saying, cit. I'm not (completely) alone, but I feel so.
    My guess is that it's not loneliness as much as feeling misunderstood, so maybe finding people who get and accept you for who you are could "cure" this perceived loneliness.
  4. mulberrypie

All of these suggestions would be helpful if people quelled my loneliness, but they do not. I have done all these things and it led me back to this forum. I think I am facing being alone for the next 10 years. Maybe there is something that can minimize the ache of loneliness once we've resigned ourselves to it. There is probably a way to find contentment in life, regardless. People have told me I shouldn't depend on others for my well-being. It has to come from within. I've been looking at different philosophies to see if one 'clicks' to no avail.
  5. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Everyone is lonely inside. We won't find relief within the confines of our own walls. If having the company of likeminded and caring people is unhelpful for you, then maybe it is a problem in yourself that only you can heal. I'm not sure how, but a good start is realizing that you are alone, no one else can satisfy you and that you have to find what's missing. Inner peace with your true identity.
  6. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

have to open to let it in.
    depending is ok if it s mutual and healthy. that s when we get less lonely when have someone to relate to and who s doing same things as us
  7. mulberrypie

thank you
  8. kristellechou

kristellechou Well-Known Member

yes, absolutely
  9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Strangely enough, I enjoy being alone rather than with people. My late aunt was the same, she enjoyed her own company and didn't really mix with anyone outside of her nursing job. I do get lonely but I have 3 sisters and a niece and a brother so if I badly need to talk with someone there is someone there.

I do get lonely though sometimes, when that happens I call a friend or visit my friends house. I think my years of isolation have made me believe my feelings of enjoying being alone are normal. I don't know...
  10. W Miller

W Miller Well-Known Member

Agreed Petal :)

I do get lonely, and want to be cared for, but I'm LOVE being a loner too. Its partly my fault though, because, I have had people offer to talk on the phone with me, but, my voice it WAY to nervous to talk now.

Maybe that will change someday, I never had that problem before. I think it is years of isolation in my case as well.
  11. mulberrypie

I think you're right. I can't find these people, though. & i agree, petal. being alone can be nice but loneliness hurts. i think i've messed myself up for good.
  12. DatAlgorithm

DatAlgorithm Well-Known Member

are you kidding me? You are awesome; I'm so shocked you aren't absolutely surrounded by friends who think you are the coolest ever and tons of guys who want your number! If I were in your area... I'd love to have you to talk to and whine to about the cold LOL I'm not just saying this to, I mean it... just keep being you because you are awesome just the way you are :D
  13. Lux

Lux Well-Known Member

I know the feels. Here for you whenever you need me :) <3
  14. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member