Validation?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by wheresmysheep, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I'm waiting to see my psychiatrist again, as i am slipping all over the place in regards of mood.
    I took a non fatal (and wasnt aimed to be fatal) over dose, on monday morning, just for the hell of it. And i mean it wasnt just one or two tablets over the recommended dose.
    But what i'm wondering is, is there anyone else out there, who feels, and truely thinks they have a certain disorder, and wont feel 'right' or 'well' till their psych validates it and says; 'yes, you ahve x,y,z.'

2. revoltra

revoltra Well-Known Member

that is EXACTLY how i feel. I may have the symptoms, people may tell me i have it, but until a psych tells me I have it I wont even start to believe I have it. That's why I have troubles explaining it to my parents, I don't wanna claim I have this or that (but that's just how my mind works). But we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I think the time you have to wait is a bit to long though. So I hope you use the number when you need it and get support from friends and family. Gonna send you a sheep hug and hope it gets better. But no more playing with your meds. I don't care if it wasn't "fatal". You shouldn't take more than needed, we need you here. *hug

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Often times the docs don't tend to listen as they have it in their mind what you have. I fought for along time to get these professionals to see finally one pdoc in 2 visits saw what i saw and my girl is on the correct meds now I don't know why they won't listen but i hope this new doc for you will see and listen.
    The title really does not matter but it is the treatment that matters. hugs and yes please do not mess with your meds okay that in itself can cause your moods to go up and down and all over hugs

4. wheresmysheep

Its the same psych from last time, I just hope he listens to me. I didnt really like him last time round either... so will just ahve to see.
    And im not taking my meds, havent for 6months, i just have all the months meds here. i dont want to go back on the wrong meds. i was doing fine without them up till december

5. total eclipse

well i hope you hand over all those meds to him on your visit and maybe that will make him see your are concerned and need help. If he does not listen time for a new pdoc Bring someone in with you the pdoc seem to listen better when yu have an advocate with you hugs.

6. wheresmysheep

Mmm, I dont really have anyone i could bring in with me, and wont he react negatively to seeing all the meds? Or will it show that i wasnt on meds for that period of time?

7. total eclipse

He should know you were not on meds because they made you worse right You don't have a mental health worker that could go with you or a councillor anyone. I always go with my daughter because she cannot explain herself well she gets nervous and forgets things. If not right every thing down okay and highlight the important parts you want him to see. The meds i just want you to get rid of them if not to your doctor give them back to the pharmacist okay
    don't have them in the house. I hope he listens to you and really sees what you are trying to tell him hugs

8. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

you can get "advocates" to go with you to help you at any appointments, i cant remember how you get one but i think i remember seeing that it was "mind" charity that was promoting it, go into any mind shop or look it up online, an advocate may help you get your thoughts across better and may make you more at ease so you can talk more candidly.

Hope everything goes well for you love

9. black_rose_99

black_rose_99 Well-Known Member

Yes yes yes! Part of the reason I don't want to start meds is because I don't want to get the wrong meds for what I believe I have (and I haven't yet had a psych evaluation although I'm trying). But it was also mentioned to me that perhaps I was heading towards self-diagnosis. So then I didn't really know what to think, but you just put what I was feeling into better (and perhaps vaguer) words that I used.

*edit* vaguer in the sense that I WAS bordering on self-diagnosis by mentioning specific disorders I thought I had rather than using general terms. I don't know. I'm all tired and not coherant.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.