Valium Addiction

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Twocky61, May 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I have been prescribed & been taking Valium for quite a few weeks now and I feel a lot calmer but then I am so sedated I remember nothing at the end of the day of what I have been doing that day

A lot of the time I just lay in bed oblivious which is better than being stressed as I usually am

I know I am now addicted and stopping taking Valium I would have panic attacks, self harm & probably commit suicide

This is one of my more aware moments otherwise i could not type this

2. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

What amounts are you taking daily? Perhaps you should try to cut it down, just a little, step by step. At least this is something i will try to do with my sleeping pills. Beside, do you drink coffe, red bulls? I noticed that they have pretty big impact on my insomnia and anxiety, the less i drink it, the less benzos i need and the calmer i am.

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

You really need to discuss this with you Dr. It is likely a self correcting situation because in order to remain in a stupor like that you would need to be taking more than the recommended dose and will run out well before the prescription is eligible to be refilled. When I was first taking strong pain relievers it would sometimes happen but really could not abuse more than a couple weeks because you run out of medication and then do not have any for a couple weeks until scheduled for a refill. This - aside from being a bad idea and leaving me with no pain medication for a couple weeks each month- prevents a severe addiction unless you are getting it illegally and from other sources. Discussing with your Dr will allow them to write weekly prescriptions for example so there are not enough on hand to become addicted and overly abuse, as well as discuss what medications you might use instead that are less addictive.

4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Thanks Hurted & Ben

I was on 20mg daily but someone here on SF said that was extremely high so I saw my GP and she said I was on too high a dose and halved it so I am on 10mg daily and my GP says she thinks it would benefit me leaving it like this in the short term to review again if it can be lowered

Lyndsey my support worker thinks my dose should not be lowered as she sees first hand my reactions without valium sedating me - more than once she has found me having self harmed and has had to pick up the pieces but now since her betrayal (see my poem about her) I don't want her around

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You need to listen to your doctor and your doctor only when it comes to your meds and if you do not trust your social worker anymore then you can ask to see someone different

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am on 20mg valium daily and have been since I quit xanax. It works for me. They will not increase the dose even if I need it extremely bad, they have told me so already. It can be an addictive drug and drug of abuse. But I must ask, are you taking it exactly as prescribed? How did you feel when the 20mg was reduced to 10mg? Perhaps they can find a maintenance dose for you but some doctors won't do that because it's supposed to be a short term use drug when anxiety is severely disabling and affecting the quality of your life. Another thing they could do is switch you to a less addictive drug for anxiety, such as a benzo (rivitrol) or a non-benzo which I swear by, pregabalin (lyrica)... please keep us updated. Best of luck to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.