vegan and vegetarian

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by morning rush, Aug 27, 2012.

1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I have been wanting to go vegetarian, to eat as less meat as possible and so I started to watch documentaries about food, vegan, vegetarians etc...and so some of them was showing how cows, chickens and pigs were treated every day up until they were made me cry and I was just so sad about it, that I decided to not eat animal and animal products...but now I find it really really hard to not eat cheese or chicken broth...I'm caught up between making a difference and longing for certain foods...I mean I can't eat anywhere, because most restaurants have animal products...vegan products are hard to find...and I'm not a big fan of the veggie dogs or burgers...Idk what to think or do I the only one struggling? I feel all alone...
  2. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

You're not the only one. I'm trying to stop eating meat, but still crave chicken sandwiches. I wish I knew the best way to stop it.
  3. lav11

lav11 Well-Known Member

ive been vegetarian for about half a year now and at first it was really hard to do.. i kept craving meats like chicken and what not.. but after about a month or so it really surprised me but the cravings just stopped... i know it sounds weird but after a while you begin to forget what meat even tastes like and you dont even feel like eating it it really does for me anyways gets easier...

as for vegan, i went vegan not too long ago and i am finding it hard, but i am sure just as with being vegetarian it will get easier...
    are you able to Google recipes for foods you can eat, i found this really helpful in the early stages and after a while you begin to notice foods that you can actually eat.. I went to a restraunt the other night and i was amazed at all the foods i could eat that i never noticed before..

maybe if you are struggling stick with vegetarian for a while before you jump straight into vegan, or if your really determined google, youll be amazed at the availabilities!
  4. Finance

Finance Well-Known Member

There's no way to put a happy face on the way meat gets to your plate. We try to.

It's as good as we can do....there's some rough handling and the environment of loading hogs on a semi can make people lose their tempers.

Maybe those cravings you feel are for a reason.
  5. morning rush

thank you for be honest, I'm very picky although I'm willing to try stuff...they said in the movie that it takes a baby 15 tries before he starts to like maybe its the same for me...but also now when I see meat, I see whatever I saw on the tuna cans, I see what happens to the tuna as he is pulled out of the bottom ocean...and that makes me nauseous right away...but like right now I would give anything to eat a can of tuna and cheese...chicken and beef I can get over because I rarely eat it...but i eat broth...

I will look up recipes to try thank you for suggesting it, Lav11
  6. Finance

Finance Well-Known Member

I'm with ya. The veg idea sounds good when you're not hungry.

Then I do get hungry and the idea doesn't seem as appealing.

Tuna is fantastic.....with noodles with parmesan cheese.......................
  7. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

You will miss things like turkey or chicken or fish, these are the leaner blander cuts of meat and the last ones to give up. If you want to get over this hurdle you have to be good at veggie meals, know how to make tasty stuff that can easily make you forgt chicken. Getting off red meats and pork is less difficult.

learn how to make it a therapeutic thing, a process of cleansing the soul. I truly believe that the suffering that we submit animals to is passed onto us when we eat them. I am no radical and if Im invited to lunch/dinner and there is no veggie option I will eat fish and every so often chicken but these have to be free-range. Radicalism is never good just be determined to eat less and less meat and more and more veggies. learn how to cook well or you wont win this fight.

You can make great things with soya in its various forms, and dont forget that italian cooking is mostly pasta and so is indian food. you cant say italian and indian food is tastless can you? BTW my dog prefers my veggie cooking to chunks of chicken or meat!!!!
  8. ryan.

ryan. Well-Known Member

vegetarian here. the key is to get creative in your kitchen, cooking should be fun. you'd be surprised at how your palate changes as well.
  9. soapymongoose

soapymongoose Well-Known Member

I went vegetarian about 4 years ago, it was an overnight decision based on a whim. I make a lot of those decisions but this was by far the best!

I didn't crave meat as such, I associate cravings with my addictions and I was never addicted to meat, but my body definitely went through the mill for a couple of months. It's worth it though. I don't even think about meat unless it comes up in conversation. Had a piece of it by mistake a few months ago and it was disgusting, I felt like what a meat eater would feel if someone just told them they'd eaten a piece of human I imagine.
  10. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I have been 100% and strict vegetarian for about 35 years now. I don't miss meat at all. I have seen how animals are treated before slaughter and it makes me certain that I'd never ever consume flesh again. Even the so-called Christians made a rule for it: Thou shalt not kill. Hmmm.
  11. Rechir

Rechir Member

You are not the only one who tried to stop eating meat. I love veggies and this is so good way to improve my fitness as well as prevention of many diseases. Although veggies help in weight loss which is so common problem around the glob. Vegan have to face less health issues.
  12. ryan.

ryan. Well-Known Member

cravings are normal, i'm a vegetarian and still crave chicken wings doused in hot sauce all the time.
  13. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Ooh, I'm a vegetarian. There's this veggie website I go on called VegFriend - they have lots of ideas for recipes, encouragement, etc. Though I do find that a few fights break out every now and then between vegans and vegetarians, and it gets graphic :(

I crave McDonald's hamburgers all the time, but I have these peri peri burgers (fake meat) instead which are so amazingly yummy!
  14. morning rush

I still eat meat...but I did end up eating less of it..I try all kinds of stuffs, like soy protein, beans and other stuff...I make desserts with veggies in them and they taste great...but I don't see myself not eating meat and that makes me sad...I love it too much..
  15. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

Deciding to switch over to vegetarian today or tomorrow. Just watched a video how they are treated and killed in slaughterhouses and its very hard to watch, slit throat while alive, little pigs being slammed against the ground to die by trauma if they are no good to eat, caged like sardines. Im not really against hunting if people eat them I dont think because they at least get to live a good life up until death so not sure if I will eat moose that my dad hunts or not, but im definitely not eating stuff from slaughterhouses anymore. Ill probably just go totally meat free in the end(probably still eat fish though not sure) but im sure ill have some cravings it may take a bit.

I didnt know a lot of the animals people eat have individual personalities but i guess i was just ignorant to it before, just thinking like if someone ate my dogs :(. I will miss steaks though and burgers. This is the video i watched, SteveO seems like a pretty cool dude since he sobered up.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  16. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Go to Burger King. They feature the BK VEGGIE BURGER that is really good.
  17. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Best one for vegetarians :D
  18. yoyo79

yoyo79 Banned Member

So happy to see this thread :) I was raised vegetarian, except we were given fish fingers - wheres the sense in that! - didn't enjoy being vege as a child, having to eat different stuff at school and friends parties, rebelled a bit and ate some meat for a while, but it's always felt more natural, healthier & definitely kinder to animals for me to be vege, I started this page a few months ago if anyone is interested
  19. morning rush

wow cool! I had no idea they had veggie burgers, I don't know if they have it in quebec (canada).

About the animal cruelty, they should regulate it and have regular check ups to make sure it is as humane as possible. Doesn't matter if we eat meat or not, if there are laws, which they should have, to protect even the soon to be consumed animals, then they will have to follow them and if they don't they should get humongous fines so that they don't keep paying and doing it....

there should be laws on how the animals are treated while alive, on how to kill them and what happens after etc...
  20. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

This is something which i have often debated on.
    The solution to animal cruelty is not to avoid meat products, it is to demand better regulation.
    I will also point out the majority of farms are good, humane places. Those abhorrent cruel places are a rarity.

The point i seem to keep making is that you cannot be disconnected from the death of animals, deer are culled to prevent damage to trees which are used for multiple uses, also for damage to farms (deer in the UK are so overpopulated DEFRA are considering a nationwide cull) Rabbits cause over £100 million damage a year to crops, woodpigeon decimate crops etc etc
    I eat a lot of meat, unlike most though a large portion of my diet is game meats, i hunt my own food and only take whats needed (unless a farmer requires a cull, in which case my freezers get full)
    What i hunt has lived free, fed on natural foods and was required to die regardless. I find game foods much tastier and what i hunt feeds me, my dogs, my ferrets, my birds, my son and my family and friends.

My point being that regardless of what you eat, animals will still have to die as a result of your dietary needs, same as with the farming industry there will be people who will abuse the animals in the process (i.e not humanely dispatching them) So the key is to petition the government to criminalise inhumane treatment and tighter regulation. We are in a democracy and you have a voice for a reason.
    A secondary point is that you should pay more for your food, farmers rely on intensive farming due to such small profit margins. I know a lot of farmers and shepherds, they get a pittance for their stock and many are leaving the industry. If they recieved a fair price for their stock they wouldnt need to intensify their farming methods.
    Try going to a game dealer and asking them about their products, they should be able to tell you where the animals were hunted and the method of dispatch, the meat is much healthier and more humane, well at least it is in my eyes.