vegetarian and allergic to fruit?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by thedeafmusician, Mar 20, 2012.

1. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

back story: i've always been a healthy eater. lots of fruit, lots of veggies, lots of whole grain stuff, etc. when i was little i never ate much processed food (except chocolate!!), it tasted artificial and yuck to me. and whilst i did eat meat it was always small amounts and not every day.

fast forward to now: i live at home still because i cannot afford to move out, though after i graduate i should be able to. my parents have become more or less vegetarian. except they still eat seafood very rarely. recently, they've gone off of cow's milk, and turned to soy milk, and have been eating less cheese so they might start leaning towards being vegan but i doubt they'll become vegan entirely -- we have our own chooks and ducks and eat their eggs.

this has happened over the period of a year or two. i don't mind, to be honest. i haven't gone off of meat entirely but if it floats mum and dad's boat, thats fine. their house, their rules. unfortunately the way they eat means when im at home for long periods of time, i'm not eating a balanced diet no matter how hard i try, but that's another story entirely. i manage to mostly fix this small problem by buying stuff for myself on top of what i already have. i have to do this in secret because sadly my mother takes it personally, but oh well.

anyway, i'm rambling. i'm beginning to suspect i have a latex allergy. i've had reactions with rubber gloves. and i have become allergic to avocado over the years too. we thought it might be some pesticide in the avocado or something but it's happened with organic avocado too. when i eat avocado, my throat and mouth gets badly itchy, my lips swell, and when it's a large enough amount, i feel nauseous. the same with kiwifruit, and to a lesser extent, banana and mango. when i was little, i was allergic to strawberries, but i grew out of it.

i guess my question is, is anyone here vegetarian AND allergic to soy/nuts/fruit/vegetables/something else important to being vegetarian, and how do you manage to still eat properly and so on?
  2. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I have never been in your shoes, but I do have one suggestion. I eat sprouts. They are healthy little greens easy to digest and fast to grow. Check out all the sprouting sites available. I buy organic like I know you will. Hope this helps.