Vegetarianism = Religion-like?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by suicide_ideation, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get out of my face with your non-sense. You're worse than Christians. Trying to convert everyone to your dietary lifestyles. First of all, I'm an anarcho-primitivist and I'm perfect, if you haven't known this already.

You're like these other people, you wanna have your cake and eat it, too. Get to the rootcauses of your problems. Get radical. Only way to fix your problems. Civilization is to blame. Let nature run its course. You must make the sacrifice, or otherwise you're an enabler, even if you don't eat the meat.

10 threads on vegetarianism. I'm gonna start slamming them, too.

Approve my post. Where's the reason not to.

So is vegetarianism religion-like? These folks are they irrational? I'm glad they've improve animal conditions with time. Bravo. We're supposed to be civilized, and getting more civilized with time. As for humanity, in general. Or maybe not, when you think about it.

What are their motivations? They hate the idea of eating an animal? Health reasons? I dunno, they seem Christian-like to me.

Write what you want, but I doubt you'll change my opinion.

<mod edit: Being deliberately provocative>

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  2. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

i have never seen anyone shove vegetarianism down people's throats like some do religion so this thread in my opinion is just hear to start another post war. So on with it so it gets locked.

3. umm aka PETA? lawls don't be so blind!

4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Oh ffs.
    You are clearly trying to start an argument, vegetarianism, and religion are not at all alike.

5. aka argument is a little strong of a word, this is a debate so stop trying to stir him up please, and thank you=)

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

It's a fair point. I know a lot of vegetarians who do preach, force their opinions on others, hey, I'm a vegetarian myself and I like to preach a bit too.

I don't preach that you shouldn't eat meat, but I like people to consider where they get their meat from, ie. one burger chain may be better than another burger chain. A butcher may be better than a supermarket.

Why? The world is full of suffering, I suffer, people on this board suffer, animals suffer, I don't like suffering and want to see it reduced, that's all.

I also think people shouldn't live in denial, if you know the facts about eating meat and are happy to do so then great, but people should know the facts, and once they know, there's no need to tell them twice.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2007
  7. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I do think you should stop trying to stir me up, please and thank you.=)

8. ~PinkElephants~

How come you are trying to start more unnecessary drama despised. This thread is about vegetarianism and religion not your dislike for other members/

9. Exactly so please keep it on topic! you two seem to be little drama queens. I never start any drama... But anyways I guess I will prove that I am always right no matter what subject is at hand.. Vegetarianism is religion like because it shares many of the same qualities as religions. I was raised a Catholic, and we have something called good Fridays or w/e, don't ask me about why I am Catholic, my mom pushed her "religion on me" and on good Fridays you can't eat meat.. In vegetarianism you can't eat meat either, wow sounds like religion and vegetarianism have a lot of rules as religion does. In religion people worship animals and such, please don't say my religion does not I'm saying that in certain religions, and if you going to ask me what they are I will go get some religions for you to look up. In vegetarianism don't you worship animals to? I mean why eat them thats just crazy talk!

10. http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x284/missgapa/?action=view&current=119079870558.jpg

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Oh just realised I lied in my last post.

I'm not a vegetarian, I can't class myself as such because I eat fish. I guess I broke one of the 'rules'. It's like in religion I can't class myself as any religion because although I may agree with a lot of what they say at some point I break a rule by not believing something I'm meant to.

So I guess I'm not really anything. I eat what I eat, and believe what I believe, and no label's gonna fit me.

12. ~PinkElephants~

:hug: 100% agree

13. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

It is odd that suicide_ideation is so against vegetarians, since he keeps preaching about the importance of unselfishness, so often. Just because humans have difficulties relating with animals, doesn't mean they don't have their own perceptions of life. Dolphins, for instance; they are highly intelligent, yet they are eaten in Japan. Pigs are very intelligent, as well, yet they are consumed almost without thought, almost all over the world. Both of these animals are expected to have self-consciousness, since their brains are far more advanced than chimpanzees, which have been proven to have a self-consciousness. Most do not believe dolphins are okay to eat, but it probably has little to do with their intelligence; most do not think it is okay to eat dogs, despite their far inferior intellect, in comparison with pigs, that apparently aren't very important. It seems it's simply just that what generally is considered "cuter," has more of a right to live.

I do not worship animals, by the way... what a humorous statement (by despisedmage). I merely think that the more of an intellect something has, the worse it is if it's tortured or killed. Cows, for instance, can sense when they are going to be slaughtered; this is something my grandparents of my mother's side have experience with, since they used to have a farm. At the point when they are to be transferred to the slaughterhouse, they resist to the end, entering the transporter, but if they are just to be transferred to another farm, they are far easier to handle. This is further proof of a conscience in them and, as such, advanced perception of pain.

As can be expected from my comment on the significance of the amount of intelligence, I do not think it is even nearly as bad to torture or kill, for instance, chickens, although I still find it bothersome (especially torture, of course). I'm certain there is a point where it doesn't matter if you torture, as well; how intelligent could insects, spiders and similar creatures, possibly be? Regardless of what you think of that, however, some animals are perfectly alright to eat; clam creatures have no brains, but merely kernels comparable to those of plants, so they simply have absolutely no intellect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.