Venlafaxine - when do you notice effects

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by GoldenPsych, Feb 12, 2008.

1. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

I have been on 150mg of this for about 2 weeks now. Just wondering if and when people started to notice any effects of it. I have been on Fluoxetine, Citalapram and Sertraline so this is the 4th type in a yr now.
    Not had any side effects, i dont think anyway. Well only thing is I have had problems with my sleeping for about a month now. I get off to sleep ok but wake about 2 hours later and can not get back to sleep. So I am constantly worn out. I told my doc about this today and he said try taking the pills at night, a couple of hours before bed as may have some sedative effect, yet at the same time the psychiatrist said take them in the morning. What difference does it make if they are the slow release ones anyway.

When does everyone else take them?

2. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I take them in the morning and night.

3. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

He did say try it in evening. Gotta go back in 2 weeks as psychiatrist should have written to him by then and think if that makes no difference will try that way. But I am not sure if is a side effect of pills. If it is then I suppose in 2 weeks it should have gone away as I have been on the pills for 3 weeks now.

4. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Are they helping your depression?

5. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

I was on flouxetine and citalopram before venlafaxine. It started working pretty much in the first 2 days for me. Best i've had yet. Only you must be very careful about missing doses when you've been on it a while as the side effects can be more severe.

6. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

hey i'm on 150mg of this med - it took probably about 8 weeks, actually maybe even longer for me to feel any effects at all. I talked to the psychiatrist about it and she said by 8 weeks you should be feeling significantly better. Sure down days are expected, it ain't a miracle cure but anything longer than 2 weeks and i should up the dose to 225mg. Fingers crossed i've been good for a whole month now! woot!!!!
    I think side effects are different for each individual - at the end of the day i way them up against feeling better. But i'm a sucker for having warped thinking - e.g. having no appetite/nausea is a good thing in my book lol!
    Oh and btw you should listen to your psychiatrist she'll know more about the meds than your general GP. Mine said to take them in the morning as they help wake you up.
    Hope they help - i know mine are! yayayay!!!! :biggrin:

7. gforce7

gforce7 Active Member

I've been on venlafaxine a week now (75g a day), was previously on 60mg fluoxitine (prozac), but I haven't experienced any positive effects so far :unsure: