Vent about being overprotected.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Marissa, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Marissa

Marissa Well-Known Member

Being a sheltered kid sucks. Ever since my mom pulled me and my younger brother out of a public school after 2nd grade due to problems with the teachers and homeschooled us, I have had NO social life.

Would you believe I hadn't had any friends or gone ANYWHERE by myself until a few months ago? I'm 17.

Whenever I brung up socializing when I was younger, mom would always say, "Well, it costs money to socialize." We're pretty poor so she would always use that excuse. Mom NEVER encouraged socializing.

And whenever I talked about maybe going back to public school, she'd brainwash me with stories of school bullies, petty people, peer pressure, basically how absolutely horrible public school is.

A few months ago she signed me up for Big Brothers Big Sisters (after nearly TEN YEARS of me reminding her that I don't like being sheltered and not having any friends), so my only friend is from there. But we're only allowed to see each other 3 or 4 times a month.

She started allowing me to go outside alone a few months ago too. But there's a catch of course.

-I can only go to the park, which is really close to our apartment.
    -I can only go in the mornings--never in the evening or at night.
    -I can only go on days when she's off from work.
    -I can only go when she's not sleeping.
    -I can not ride the bus.
    -I can not talk to anyone.

The only time I get to explore and see other things is when me and my Big Sister hang out, so I cherish those times.

But I am VERY VERY VERY awkward socially because of having been sheltered for nearly a decade. It really sucks.

Any other sheltered kids here?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

funny i was feeling guilty because i did not home school my kid. she was bullied and harassed madefun of. I think alot of her low self esteem came from this I was overprotective because i saw how cruel people can be. Your mom was just looking out for you maybe too much but i do understand your point of view and hers

3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Now that you are older, you will get more and more opportunities to socialize. Take it one step at a time. You will make friends in time. It's something wonderful to look forward to.

:hug:

4. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

Iam.....I go to schools BUT...Im not aloud to go out the house unless with my father or mouther & they always were over protictive & im now 22...my family didnt support me to soiclize...and they dont gave any money that I can go and have fun with friend ...and not enough for food & meals that I need..so I couldnt hang out anyway...I always feel presoner...always...and now when they are start to say ok for soiclize..I cant...I dont like to...I donno how...Im scared to go out....I donno even who to talk...However,I go to schools but i always student make fun of me...so i never ever have friend or bf/gr...so I belive you..and I feel you...

5. Marissa

Marissa Well-Known Member

My younger brother is like this too..... He's been kept inside for so long that he's used to it, he doesn't WANT to go outside anymore. I'm really worried about him, because he can't survive like this. He knows nothing about the world and he's more socially awkward than I am... It really sucks.