Very angry and upset

I'm very angry and upset right now. I'm sitting on a train and trying very hard not to cry.
As some have known a little bit about me already, I'm in Germany at the moment, with limited German. In Germany, when you're a student, you can travel around the region for free. So this is what I have been doing for almost a year, since I moved to Germany. Usually when the ticket officer came to ask for ticket, I presented my student ID. My student ID has a symbol of the transportation group and the valid date of my student id. Usually this is enough to prove that I'm a registered student and therefore has the right to travel for free.
But this time was different. A lady came and demanded to see my ticket. I gave her the student id but she was not happy and asked for my 'ticket'. I knew what she was talking about. And I did have it in my phone but since I never had to use it, I couldn't remember where I saved it. I asked her for some time but she just stood there staring at me. At this point I was shaking. I tried to explain to her in my broken German and tried English at some point but she completely ignored me. This lady could have gone ahead and checked other people's tickets but she did not. She stood there and stared at me like a criminal. My phone crashed at this time because I was frantically looking for the document. Then she started writing a ticket. I got very upset and told her it wasn't fair, I had the document just can't find it yet. And she said, you took long enough, gave me the ticket (60 EUR) and walked away.
I'm so unbelievably angry at this, this lack of sympathy, inhumanity and unfair treatment. Had I spoken German, had I looked different, she would not have treated me that way. What angers me the most is that she could have walked away and came back later and given me some space. She knew I was a student, there was simply no reason to treat me like a criminal.
I've written an email to my student union to help. I don't even give a shit about the money at this point. But being treated so terribly makes me feel so mad and upset. I want to scream and yell and cry and just can't. Feeling absolutely small and helpless.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I'm so sorry she treated you like that. There was simply no need *hug
I know that the money isn't the issue but I hope that the student union can help you to get it back.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
So sorry this happened. Exactly what sunspots said - no need at all, she could have given you at least a few minutes to get yourself together.

*hug for you x

BlueGreen

I'm very angry and upset right now. I'm sitting on a train and trying very hard not to cry.
As some have known a little bit about me already, I'm in Germany at the moment, with limited German. In Germany, when you're a student, you can travel around the region for free. So this is what I have been doing for almost a year, since I moved to Germany. Usually when the ticket officer came to ask for ticket, I presented my student ID. My student ID has a symbol of the transportation group and the valid date of my student id. Usually this is enough to prove that I'm a registered student and therefore has the right to travel for free.
But this time was different. A lady came and demanded to see my ticket. I gave her the student id but she was not happy and asked for my 'ticket'. I knew what she was talking about. And I did have it in my phone but since I never had to use it, I couldn't remember where I saved it. I asked her for some time but she just stood there staring at me. At this point I was shaking. I tried to explain to her in my broken German and tried English at some point but she completely ignored me. This lady could have gone ahead and checked other people's tickets but she did not. She stood there and stared at me like a criminal. My phone crashed at this time because I was frantically looking for the document. Then she started writing a ticket. I got very upset and told her it wasn't fair, I had the document just can't find it yet. And she said, you took long enough, gave me the ticket (60 EUR) and walked away.
I'm so unbelievably angry at this, this lack of sympathy, inhumanity and unfair treatment. Had I spoken German, had I looked different, she would not have treated me that way. What angers me the most is that she could have walked away and came back later and given me some space. She knew I was a student, there was simply no reason to treat me like a criminal.
I've written an email to my student union to help. I don't even give a shit about the money at this point. But being treated so terribly makes me feel so mad and upset. I want to scream and yell and cry and just can't. Feeling absolutely small and helpless.
That's awful. I would write to the train company, note the train time, destination etc and tell them exactly what happened. I'm sorry, it's a horrible thing to happen and does stay with you for a long time. If you are still on the train I would speak to someone at the other end if possible. Did she have a name badge? My mother used to say if you put someone in uniform or give someone a clipboard they start acting like a dictator. Sorry you had to come across one of those idiots. There's no need at all for her to intimidate anyone.

Thank you @Sunspots @Petal and @BlueGreen. Just to update: I went to the service centre and the girl there was very nice about it. She said I could pay only 7EUR now because I showed her the ticket. But said that if I pay now, it would mean that I admit guilt. So she suggested that I wrote to the train company. I went to the train company's website and was referred to a chat. I started chatting with the person (with the help of Google translate), but the person was being awful about it. She said, you should always have 2 things together. I tried to explain to her that I did, and that I just didn't have time to find it. And she said, you should always have these 2 ready for inspection. Then I told her that no one ever asked me for both, so why would I be punished today for not being fast enough? At this, she said 'I can't foresee who will check what and when'. I gave up at this point and went ahead and paid the damn 7 EUR. Yes, at least it's not 60EUR but I'm angry about how I was treated and how the person did not even give me a chance. Why would anyone do this to another human being, I honestly do not understand. For 7 EUR? To intimidate others? I just do not understand this.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
That bloody sucks. I would be seriously pissed too. I hope you are okay and don't let it ruin the rest of your day *hug

BlueGreen

Damn. That sucks. Just don't take it personally, it could happen to anyone and who knows, maybe that ticket inspector has been treated badly repeatedly and hates her life? Hope you are going somewhere nice and interesting and can forget all about her!

First of all, thanks everyone *grouphug. I'm feeling much better and less alone now.

who knows, maybe that ticket inspector has been treated badly repeatedly and hates her life?
That's what I was thinking too. Sometimes I think that it'd be impossible to do this job if they don't themselves into machines.

That bloody sucks. I would be seriously pissed too. I hope you are okay and don't let it ruin the rest of your day *hug
I'm better now actually. I'm trying to think that I can't let this stupid thing make me feel small and illegitimate. It would mean that they 'win'. Is that weird? I shall move on and enjoy the rest of the day.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
First of all, thanks everyone *grouphug. I'm feeling much better and less alone now.

That's what I was thinking too. Sometimes I think that it'd be impossible to do this job if they don't themselves into machines.

I'm better now actually. I'm trying to think that I can't let this stupid thing make me feel small and illegitimate. It would mean that they 'win'. Is that weird? I shall move on and enjoy the rest of the day.
Hey SP, Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Makes a body's blood boil and want to say things most of which are probably best not said!
It's so good to know you know how to handle it and are so understanding how bleeping little some people can be to try making those that are not (such as you) almost feel small. So happy to hear you are feeling better now.

d

I think SF must have superpower or something. Random update: on the way to supermarket I found a pair of bluetooth headphones in the middle of the road. Must have fallen off some biker. I didn't see anyone around so decided to take it. When I got home and checked it online, I realised that it was an expensive brand, and definitely costs much more than the 60 EUR fine *dance1.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
I think SF must have superpower or something. Random update: on the way to supermarket I found a pair of bluetooth headphones in the middle of the road. Must have fallen off some biker. I didn't see anyone around so decided to take it. When I got home and checked it online, I realised that it was an expensive brand, and definitely costs much more than the 60 EUR fine *dance1.
I gotta answer this by saying "see, I told you so". I know I didn't say to you but I always insist - the spirits are watching and taking care however they can.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00