Very Bad Day Today (Dec 8 1980)

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Mordeci, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Today is a very sad day for me its the anniversary of the death of one of my idols John Lennon. Very few people know me and even less know me well but those that do know how important his music and legacy was for me, between him and R.Kennedy once upon a time I thought I could actually change the world, which is why I wanted to go to law school, I cried for very few people in my life I still cry for John Lennon.

I know it sounds stupid but every year this is one of the hardest days for me, one way or the other I end up crying myself to sleep, especially since I wasn't born yet. But I can't begin to tell you how revered Lennon was in my house growing up and over the years I actually grown to appreciate the music.

2. NoMoneyToPlease

NoMoneyToPlease Banned Member

Mordeci.I clearly remember the morning going to school after the announcement had sunk in that John Lennon was dead.It was markedly different from the John Wayne and the Elvis mornings.There were no pistol hands,"get off your milk and drink your horse" jokes ,or collars being turned up to sync with an "uh-hu!" (Elvis impression ;) )
    The morning air was filled with a hushed chatter because the children had noticed how all the adults were showing signs of being deeply affected this time around.
    I remember seeing a teacher breaking down to weep openly in the car park.
    It truly was a somber and painful day for many.
    The thing that must stick in most peoples memories is the frequent playing of the "Imagine" video that accompanied most of the news reports surrounding his death.
    I hope you can take comfort from the serene white nature of that visual piece, and know that most of us who remember the man,remember how John rose above that awful untimely event to display a peaceful defiance in death.
    It is okay to cry for him.He was one of the greats.

3. Joshuwa

Joshuwa Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from
    Joe Strummers' death anniversary is coming up and it's always a very sad day for me