Victim of antidepressants

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Antti, Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antti

Antti New Member

Feeling really suicidal at the moment and would like to share my story. Maybe even save someone from suffering.

I think I have been depressed my whole life, 26 years that is. Few months ago I went to see doctor because I felt really depressed but not suicidal. She prescribed me SSRI medication for my depression. Took medication for a month and first weeks I felt more alive than ever. But after few weeks I came crashing down and felt worse than ever in my life. Doctor told me to stop taking the medication. I did so and felt horrible but wasn't suicidal.

It wasn't until few weeks has passed after stopping when I realized that I have lost my sexuality. I now suffer from condition called PSSD, post SSRI sexual dysfunction. Doctors don't have a clue what to do and there is no way of knowing will my sexual functions ever return. Sex has always been very important to me and first time in my life I feel really suicidal. I feel that life without sex is not worth living.

So as I first said, I really had to share this with someone and I'm also hoping that maybe someone will think twice after reading this before taking SSRI medication. But if you already are on SSRI medication, don't stop until you contact your doctor. Never ever stop cold turkey.

Antidepressant doesn't cure depression it only hides the symptoms. Medication is not the answer and people should seek other forms of help. Therapy is much better choice.

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry that you have been left with this lingering side effect of the medication.

Are you having any sort of help to get through this?

I think, personally, it depends on the person and the reason for medication, but there is a time and a place for it. There are times when it is the best option, but times when it is not necessarily the best option. I do think though, that it is so important for everyone to be able to make an informed decision, so that they are aware of the possible side effects and consequences. Sometimes its a risk to take, sometimes it isn't. Your problem, I would imagine, is not very common, but obviously must happen to a significant amount of people to gain a proper name from it.

3. Antti

Antti New Member

Thank you for reading and replying.

I'm going to therapy because of this. I really need all the help I can get accepting what has happened. However, the main problem here is that I really don't want to accept this loss. What I want is to get better. Dealing with depression was a piece of cake compared to this. Now I have to deal with this and depression. There is no estimate how long this will take to go away. It might be permanent and I don't know how much longer I can keep going.

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Its good you have support to help you deal with this. It may be that because you don't want to accept it, that could be a good or bad thing. I wonder if finding a way to accept that right now you are this way, but that you intend to get better might be mentally better for you, rather than completely rejecting it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.