video games and escapism

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by 24yroldfailure, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. does anyone here use video games to escape? i think i have played literally thousands of hours of video games, mainly online multiplayer ones.

they are fun to me but i also realize that i would do a lot less of them if my life was something i enjoyed more
  2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I play a lot of video games.

Mostly cuz it's just a great way to kick back with friends as well as people pay me to get 50's in halo.
  3. confuzzle

confuzzle Well-Known Member

Yeah, video games are really enjoyable, exciting, but ultimately...just for entertainment. I don't play them often as I used to, and occassionally, i binge just to distract myself.

I know where you are comin from though.
  4. kg80

kg80 Member

I don't do video games,but am a big fan of box sets,especially battlestar galactica,I loose myself in it,takes my mind off things.
  5. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

i play them not to escape but to pass time inbetween sleep
  6. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

Yep, definitely use them to escape. Don't spend money on them though. I have plenty of hours just right here on SF's free games. I'm "King Of The Arcade" lol
  7. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I love gaming. Difference between escaping and passing the time depends how good the game is. :tongue:
    Without the internet and Playstation I'd have nothing to do... scary how dependent I am on them really.
  8. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I play them a hell of a lot.
    I've gotta agree with Mel, if it weren't for the internet, gaming, movies and television I'm not sure what else I would do.
  9. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

i don't play video games,I collect custom made levels for one game made by fans...and then I don't play them.I hope to someday though when I feel happy or focused,etc.I try to make my own level but my pc is way too slow to make one which is a shame because making a custom made level is a creative,fun ,challenging hobby if your pc processor is fast enough.
  10. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I play xbox for hours to escape.
  11. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

He always talks about video games to me :hug:

I know tons of people who do that, espeically with halo.
  12. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I don't but I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to start :unsure:
  13. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Yeah.. i've played games to escape.. I find them a good relief of stress, shooting random people and stuff...
  14. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

Ah games....:)
  15. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I'm completely addicted. Its not a good addiction.
  16. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Hell yeah! I play them all the time when I'm pissed off/displeased.
    Maybe because my best friend lives in Toronto and other than the occasional meeting we just play games together online, and he is one who I feel really gets me.
    Although, even if he is not there I think video games are a great way to blissfully ignore time as it ticks by. Games can suck days from my life like nothing else, its marvelous.
    Also, I destroy reigning absolute chaos and destruction on everything :)
  17. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I play a lot of video games. And poker.
  18. pongo

pongo Member

I'm totally addicted to online games, especially MMO's. They're pretty much the extant of my social interaction with other people.
  19. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

Feels like they're the only things in life that are somewhat simple. And even then I suck at most of them. =/ I play them to escape, but sometimes I get so afraid of screwing up and letting people down that it feels more like a chore. :sad:
  20. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

I love games, but I don't play them as often as I used to.

Still, when a good game like Oblivion or Fallout or Saint's Row 2 reaches up and bites me, I unapologetically use it as escapist fare.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.