video games as a coping mechanism

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by LostMyMind, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

Anyone else here immerse themselves in video games to keep their mind off of suicide and/or disorders? If so what games do you play and on what platform?

I personally enjoy PC games; online multi-player CO-OP, DM, CTF the most, and sometimes MMORPG's and single player campaigns.

Some of the games I like most are..

Rune: Halls Of Valhalla
    Tribes Vengeance
    Half Life 2
    Far Cry
    Max Payne: series
    Prince Of Persia: series
    Doom 3
    Hitman: series
    Serious Sam: series
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Guild Wars

I look forward to playing these games sometime in my life..
    Gears Of War
    World Of Warcraft
    Alan Wake
    Assassin's Creed
    Unreal Tournament 2007
  2. LostMyMind

22 views already and not one reply. :dry: Am I really the only gamer here?

I forgot one that I am looking forward to..
    Dark Messiah Of Might And Magic
  3. Phreak

Phreak New Member

Man I couldn't understand more.

I just started coming to SF just yesterday. I found it accidently looking for a "methods" forum. But iI hadn't even registered till I read your post.

I completely get what you mean. Two of my 3 strongest coping methods are pot and games.

Its completely normal. Its another world where none of our issues here matter. Its a great escape.

I'm an MMO player by heart but i enjoy all kinds of games. Currently my gaming comp is broken so thats not helping things but Ill get it running.

I Saw WoW on your "to do" list. idk if you have friends there or anything but if your just looking for a good high fantasy MMO with PVP this is where I play

Also looking forward to getting my hands on Gears of war, UT2007, Age of Conan, and that Tribes game looks really good.

My dream is to develop my own mmo. Just need to get my shit together and get back to school.

Well im kinda just rambling off here but hit me up here or in pms if you ever want to talk to a fellow depressed gamer.
  4. RainbowChaser

RainbowChaser Well-Known Member

Good choice. I'm not very good at it myself (I've only been on it once) but my stepdad's on it quite alot, and it's fun.

I'll do a list later, my head hurts too much right now.
  5. possessednomad

possessednomad Well-Known Member

Yeah i get what you mean, too. i stopped gaming a while ago and have recently come back to it quite a bit. i find that age of empires 3 (i know its a strategy game but it works really well, lol.) works really well.

i have half life 2 and currently im having problems with it not working and valve dont know why. it's a good game, though, from what i've played so far. company of heroes is good, too.
  6. Raiden

Raiden Guest

I'm a gamer as well. Favorite game of all time is probably MGS2.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  7. LostMyMind

Welcome to SF, nice to meet ya Phreak.
    Games are indeed a great escape from reality.

I've played the Everquest 2 demo before and enjoyed it. A friend of mine plays WoW so he is trying to get me to hop aboard. I don't know which I would like more, but I'm currently avoiding all pay to play games since I'm so broke. I'll let you know if I ever dive into EQ2 tho.

I forgot about Age of Conan. That looks like a great game to add to my "to play" list.

If you ever purchase Tribes Vengeance send me a PM so we can meet up in game sometime.

Creating your own MMO game would be a great achievement. I was thinking about learning how to map and make photo-realistic textures so if you ever get a team together maybe I can tag along. :biggrin: I wish the UT2007 editor was available now. I think even just a mod with winged characters; good vs evil perhaps and sacrilege with fantasy style level designs would be fun to make. The concept is sort of inspired by Actraiser 2 on Super Nintendo.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  8. Chemical Chaos

Chemical Chaos Active Member

hell yeah! sonic the hedgehog all the way for me. none of your modern shit, though...2D sega mega drive classics for me. :laugh:
  9. LostMyMind

That stinks. HL2 is definitely one of the best games I've ever played; graphically, interactively and story wise.

I've heard nothing but good things about Company Of Heroes.
  10. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

yeah videos games are definitely. Ive always loved video games, as well as fantasy and scifi movies, especially animated ones.

some games im currently playing are. Elder scrolls oblivion, its killer i think its as good as the epic ff7. F.e.a.r- Killer game i beat it and the expansion. I loved them, fps and horror gotta lvoe them, espcieally together :) . World of warcraft- addicting game but not very satisfying in the end. its like a drug, you get your fix and then you pay them. It really is pointless though. I really love horror games the best like silent hill, not sure why, its just a can relate to the melancholy feeling of them i guess.

Games I look foward too; warhammer online!! going to be the best game ever. Fury- looks killer. its like a fast paced online fighting game. Similar to a fps but players use weapons and magic :p . Call of duty 4 .
  11. possessednomad

possessednomad Well-Known Member

Yeah, i've got a little way into it but am getting constant error messages now and like i said valve dont know why. a very good game from what ive played, though...

yes dude! get company of heroes!!! the physics and graphics are so great, as well as the gameplay obv, and i find it really free flowing to play.

you play counter strike source, at all?

and also another one - perhaps a little sad, but warhammer online is coming out in 2008 and im planning on getting that, lol. as well as spore and starcraft 2...
  12. Phreak

Phreak New Member

oh I forgot about Spore.

Damn i need to fix my comp
  13. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

WOW is really fun and addictive, especially if you can get into a really good guild. If you get bored you can always sell your character for a good bit of change :)
  14. PBall

PBall New Member

Wii works for me. i get emmersed in the gameplay for hours and i dont think about anything except the game. its one of the few things that makes me truly happy, as sad as that sounds.
  15. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

Gaming is basically the only hobby I have, but even then I don't really enjoy it that much. I usually play MMORPGs just for the addiction quality, I'm really not good at anything. I get too much frustration out of games that actually take skill to play. =/

Currently playing Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, but it's only been a few months since launch and already it's dying out. The player base has shrunk so badly that they're merging servers just so that it's possible for people to actually form groups, there's very little content, and it's so buggy that it's a wonder that it's even playable. I was really looking forward to the game, but they couldn't even follow through on their most basic promises such as a world free of zoning.

Not sure what game to turn to now. I got sick of WoW quickly, which is currently the most popular one out there. Waiting for Age of Conan at the moment.
  16. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Not really playing anything atm...LOTRO sometimes, but i need a better system to play it. Im also looking forward to Age Of Conan, will definately try it. I tend to play online games only. I also tend to get pretty bored with them these days...

Coping mechanism mmm well they fill the hours in thats for sure, but I still think about my shit while playing them, i dont find them that engrossing anymore.
  17. Esmeralda

YES! Wii is the shit! I'm sorry, but I gotta say, this system is hands-down, the best system of all time. My Mom (47) and step-dad never played video games...EVER. I brought the system to their house and I swear they both loved it so much! My Mom was laughing so hard at one point, she was crouched on the ground trying not to pee her pants. Then my Grandma came to visit (she is 76). I brought it over to play with her and of course, she has never played a video game in her life, and she became completely obsessed! She now wants to buy a system (I wish I could afford one for her). I also play a LOT with my younger (18 year old) brother and his girlfriend and we ALL love it. Not to mention that it is the CHEAPEST system on the market (250 USD for the system, 1 controller and Wii sports, which includes boxing, baseball, tennis, bowling and golf). If you have never played a video game, please try this one, and if you play video games, but are tired of just sitting around mashing buttons, then buy one. I cannot convey how much fun this system is for EVERY generation. SOOOOO worth the money.
  18. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Damn thats a pretty glowing appraisal hehe...Its awesome to see your gran getting into it, I love to hear things like that. Might have to check it out at some point.
  19. Will

Will Staff Alumni

I'm very similar. I used to use it all the time. Though now it works less and less...

It's just, certain games, you make the game a part of you, you feel it, imagine poeple, and the characters are friends. You almost feel somewhat important. That's a brutally honest common thing, or...Maybe that's just me :dry:

But when people around you don't like you...don't want to be your friends. Or girls don't like you, stuff like that screws me up. Used to anyway. I don't feel often.

Though there's alot off expansion, but I'll save myself the embarassment.
  20. Esmeralda

:) Hey there Nutter! You gotta try it. I have never in my life seen a game that every living generation loves so much...and NO, I do not work for Nintendo :laugh: You should see gram-gram playing cute! :)

and Xybill - I know what you mean about "making friends" through gaming...people can be either WAY nicer or total dicks. Human nature I guess...don't let it affect how you feel about you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.