View from the outside

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by bonbon718, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonbon718

bonbon718 Well-Known Member

I am not the one on the outside. This is a rambling based on a talk with someone who is.
    An acquaintance of mine recently had to attend the funeral of one of her good friends who committed suicide. I hated seeing how devastated she was, and how it messed her up. I was in the middle of a crisis and was planning on doing the same. Her reaction stopped me. I didn't want any of my friends to have to go through that.
    And then I started to wonder if they really would. I'd like to think so. One of my best friends told me he would have been devastated... but how many would really be affected?

Something the acquaintance said really upset me. And I've heard it from more than just her. People who have not suffered from depression or been suicidal don't understand. They don't see how real it is. She said something to the effect of not getting how someone could want to do this, etc.
    Sometimes though, it is more of a need than a want. The urges and feelings are so strong and overpowering that it is the only thing that makes sense, even though from the outside it looks like selfishness and stupidity.

Anyway, I've been struggling with this idea for a couple weeks, and don't have any answers. I don't really know this person well enough to have a conversation with her explaining what it's like to be on the brink of suicide.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

That is why i come here people here do understand how that sudden pain that takes all thought process away how deep it can go. I try to have crisis line with me at all times because i too never want to cause anyone pain from me leaving hugs to you
  3. 1Lefty

1Lefty Well-Known Member

I don't think they can understand, unless you've been there you can't understand.

That's why this place is so effective, because I can interract with others who have been there, who understand without my trying to explain.
  4. bonbon718

bonbon718 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I have gotten more understanding and empathy from people here than I did from 6 months of weekly therapy and countless hours of talking with friends
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.