Visit only if you feel safe - Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Austere Night, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austere Night

Austere Night Well-Known Member

Hopefully the title is warning enough.

So. "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem" is thrown around a lot here. Really though, aren't all good solutions permanent for temporary problems?

Wars are temporary problems. They always end sooner or later if left on their own. Despite that, many other people push for peace to try and end the war faster than it would be if left on its own. Why? The problem, even if it will go away eventually, is bad for business. It lowers morale and costs people and productivity.

My point is that all the time humans want a solution to a temporary problem, and if pain and depression is your temporary problem, death being a permanent thing is still a viable solution, no?

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Re: Visit only if you feel safe - Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary prob

I don't think people actually want to die. I think they want their pain to die. And when someone says, "I want to die," that means that they've held their pain so close for so long that they believe they themselves ARE the pain that they wish to rid themselves of.
    The permanent solution to the temporary problem is to "die" while still alive. To discover the source(s) of the suffering and stop feeding it.

3. Austere Night

Re: Visit only if you feel safe - Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary prob

But dying, ultimately, does fix the problem of feeling pain. Death is not the desire, it's the vehicle.

4. Robin

Robin Guest

I'd rather suffer than be nothing or worse, I find it hard to appreciate alot of things in life but I'm going to get out of life what I'm able to. I won't ever be an einstein but I can show my friends they are loved where they feel loathing and that for me is enough.

5. bluewail

bluewail Well-Known Member

i'd like to know who decided it was temporary problem... doesn't feel all that temporary to me! anyone know when it's likely to go away?

6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I'd rather be nothing. But being nothing isn't a bad thing. It's a freeing thing, and you don't have to die to understand the true meaning of nothingness. An emptiness which is freeing and peaceful.

7. Robin

Robin Guest

The universe started from nothing so who is to say that we cannot too, however, I would rather live now than hope for a better life that may or may not come and that's not discounting the theory that thing's can always get worse.

8. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Me and my true love are going to kill ourselves, together. That has nothing to do with depression, but that we want to do it and that it's beautiful to die like that, still young, healthy and beautiful. Yes, we WANT to die. Actually, it's exciting to think about it... together in death, for all eternity, in perfect beauty and pleasure. By the way, no one even bother questioning our beliefs; I will just pity you for not also having reached enlightenment.

9. Robin

Robin Guest

I read on a Buddhist page today (courtesy of stumbleupon.com :) ) that at the end of enlightenment lies an ordinary man

10. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Apparently not. :laugh:

11. Robin

Robin Guest

Maybe it's a fantasy but I see more of the divine in an honest man than some clergy.

12. kenny

kenny Well-Known Member

and the best place to see un-Christian behaviour is a church car-park on a Sunday.

13. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Yeah, well, I didn't exactly have anyone of the cloth in mind. :rolleyes:

14. Robin

Robin Guest

Don't mistake the euphoria of choosing your destiny with enlightenment, I don't see the point in enlightenment if it cannot be used to help others who are suffering.

15. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I've made no mistake, but whatever. Helping people has nothing to do with realising the purpose of the reincarnation cycle, and coming to the point of being able to end it.

16. Robin

Robin Guest

If you are making the leap of faith that reincarnation exists then the possibility also remains that you can walk from one nightmare to another, if you believe in reincarnation then karma can't be far behind.

17. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

:laugh: Don't worry, that's not going to happen.

18. Austere Night

There are so many different takes on Buddhism, it's not right to make generalizations of it.

19. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Well, I can assure you I'm no Buddhist. My religion has no name.

20. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Are you serious about this? Are you and your lover really planning on killing yourselves together, in hopes of being together for all of eternity? This is a pretty foolish thing to do in my opinion. Why not enjoy eachother's company instead? Most people spend their whole lives searching for that one person to love, while you and your lover are planning your death. That is not enlightenment at all. Enlightenment is realizing our true nature and sharing this information with others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.