Vocabulary question.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
So in my psychology courses, there's something that I don't think I'm fully understanding. They're telling me to "apply psychological theory to inform professional behavior". What exactly does that mean? Is it, like, applying a theory to explain why I would behave a certain way in a career setting? The word "inform" in that context just kind of confuses me.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
If you're planning on being a professional psychologist or similar, your behaviour would be "informed" or guided by your study of psychology, so yes I think you're being asked to explain how you would behave professionally in the light of your knowledge of psychology .

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
That's how I would've interpreted that, informed behaviour meaning how your knowldge gleamed has infuenced the way you act.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I would ask them for clarification if I were you to save wasting your time. I remember being given the wrong experimental data once and after a weekend trying to make sense of it, failed the assignment for not realising the data was from a completely different experiment. Strangely enough the students who used the wrong data to arrive at the expected conclusion for the right data passed the assignment, even though their conclusion was completely inconsistent with the data they actually used.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
I would ask them for clarification if I were you to save wasting your time. I remember being given the wrong experimental data once and after a weekend trying to make sense of it, failed the assignment for not realising the data was from a completely different experiment. Strangely enough the students who used the wrong data to arrive at the expected conclusion for the right data passed the assignment, even though their conclusion was completely inconsistent with the data they actually used.
Wow, that's kind of retarded. If anything, I would have done that the opposite way around. Give credit to those who used the wrong data but formed the correct conclusion.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
i’d go with “informed” too but i’d also see if i could answer it in both ways, “inform” and “informed”, and see if one or the other brings about a satisfactory answer.

sometimes, while something appears to be a mistake in the question it actually might not be. it still seems pretty likely that it is a mistake here, but i still would try it out both ways. i’d also point out the error to the instructor.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
They’re simply telling you to apply what you’ve learned/are learning to all aspects of your professional life.

It means that they are telling you to apply the theories you've learned when you are choosing how you will behave. In every moment, you have a choice of how you will behave and how you will react. What they are telling you to do is ... in those moments, use what you've learned and make that learning tell you what to do.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00