Voice in head...my own???

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PandorasToybox, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

So this may seem like a dumb question buuuuut...when it comes to hearing voices...do they mean "others" voices (like strangers or voices you dont recognize)?
    What if its...lets say, your own voice? Your own voice is tormenting you. Yelling at you, reminding you, harassing, taunting you... keeping you up at night, making you feel like you're going insane. It starts to feel like you're getting blinded by the voices...they take up every inch of your mind & sanity..
    Is there a difference???

2. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Yes, some people believe or claim they hear voices other than their own...and be careful how you word it to your psych :cya:

I get to the point that my own thoughts become so repetative and vivid that they "echo" What about you?

3. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

When I was detained in a psych ward, my roommate heard god speaking to her and the guy next door heard the devil speaking to him. Myself, my own voice in my head.....for some reason the 3 of us never had crossing conversations......lol

I'm sure some of the schizo-dx members could ellaborate their personal experiences.

4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

yes there is a difference, but there isn't if your own voice is persecuting you. what you're describing sounds horrific and incredibily painful.

one could "hear voices"- internally or externally, and they would be helpful calming guiding voices and needn't be seen as a problem.thing is some psychs want to medicate "voices" and see them as a problem when they could be a necessary internal process to heal trauma, or be part of a flashback- they can be then diagnosed with some kinda organic psychotic disorder- which is part of a different scheme of things entirely, and medicated/seen for all the wrong reasons.

if you're feeling suicidal and depressed, you can hear your own voice urging you to die, but that could be because internalised things...

could a part of you that is reaching out here, and seems separate from that voice, talk back to that voice and fight back?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2010
  5. PandorasToybox

It's horrible...it's like something between having an out of body experience & having a copy of myself standing right beside me...it reminds me of everything. When I try & decide if I want to take help that has been offered it tells me no. It reminds me of all the other people who have offered help & then dropped me...I know to take the help but the voice torments me. It takes every oppourtunity to interfere with my life...Sometimes its a mix of my own voice & another voice I dont recognize...I find myself losing control, yelling & begging it to stop...

6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

you sound like you're dissociating with the out of body experience.
    what you're describing sounds like compartmentalisation of the pain you endured when you were in therapy, it sounds like all that effected you badly and you're struggling with wanting help, but not trusting anyone, which is completely understandable and a very lonely frightening place to be- especially when you're being tormented and controlled? by that voice.

is there anyone you can talk to about this in real life?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2010
  7. PandorasToybox

Ya...my psychology prof has taken some what of an interest to me...I might run it across her....I have an appointment w/ my counsellor tomorrow morning too...I have barely been out of bed since thursday & havent left the house since thursday (which is alarming for me)...I feel totally zoned out...I just spent the last 10 hours awake doing word searches... a mindless, automatic activity...I never got bored...I feel gone...seperated?

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

that sounds terrible.
    do you know or has your counsellor told you about grounding techniques?
    do you feel safe, generally?

9. PandorasToybox

I talked to my counsellor about the voices...he was very attentive which I appreciated...he did mention I was getting more agitated than usual & he listened when I said Im burning out...
    I contact my psychology teacher & asked her if we could talk...these few nights Ive been kept awake crying...Im so tired...

10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

did your counsellor offer any practical steps to help you?
    do you take medication?, i personally found sleeping really helpful, but if you can't then that's worse.
    is there any way you could let the voices out somehow rather than keeping them in? cos that could get you very agitated..

11. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

If it's your own voice, I think it's your subconcious. It may be berating you for who knows what reason.

12. PandorasToybox

Thats exactly what my counsellor said. He thinks something has been triggered

13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

how are you feeling now? i'm worried about you- cos, i know what this is like first hand and the fact you're not sleeping is a big big alarm call.

i'm not sure if you take medication- but for me personally, any kinda sleeping aid or minor tranquilizer if you're getting agitated can help for short periods. you're going through a ton of stress- when i'm going through periods like this i have to keep in mind everything that keeps me grounded (not extreme floating/separated- because then you can be very unsafe and not know what you're doing)

things like :
    eat well, sleep, wash, breathe- deep breaths eight in eight out, slowly.

sleep and relaxation is one of the very basic things people need, it regulates your mood, gives your brain a rest, and can help you calm down and feel safe. then again, you can have bad quality sleep and not feel rested.

i'm not sure where you are now- but i hope you have more support than your counsellor- who, if you want, you can ask him for practical ways to help yourself- (or try grounding in the session and see how you react), if you're heading towards crisis- because you do sound very unwell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.