Voices?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by no point, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no point

no point Well-Known Member

I don't really know how to explain this. But I need some help understanding it. I used to hear voices as a kid, when I was about 8 or 9. They were mostly whispers, as if someone was whispering in my ear, but I never understood what it said. And then, the voices stopped after a while. So, I heard the voices again when I was about 20. And now, I'm hearing them again. Like today, I just had to cut to stop the whispers, it's like 2 or 3 people whispering at the same time. I don't know why it keeps happening. It doesn't happen everyday. But it does happen once in 2 weeks or so and I hate the feeling I have just before the voices start. Does anyone know why it happens or what it could be? Thanks...

2. Rachael41

Rachael41 Well-Known Member

Hearing voices is a common (and often viewed as a key) symptom of Schizophrenia. Im not saying that you have that, but it is associated with this type of mental health issue.

There are other symptoms though. and hearing voices can be controlled :) (if it is schizophrenia or something similar)

If these voices are tellin you to harm someone or yourself and appear aggressive then maybe u could talk to someone (i dont mean a shrink or anything) but maybe someone that you care about and trust.. :)

hope that was helpful lol :)

3. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i hear voices from time to time myself. i wish i could tell you why this happens the way it does. they just labeled mine depression with psychosis and give me meds to hopefully help. generally from my experience they don't help, but i'm sure they do for some. please take care

4. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

It's interesting that cutting helped stop your voices.

Could you say more about the feelings that happens just before the voices start?

It does sound that these voices aren't very pleasant and are persecutory and don't make you feel too good?

As to why this could happen, it really depends on who you see. Lots of people hear voices at various times of their life and aren't in mental health services or have any kind of psychotic diagnosis.

Perhaps it'd be good to find a counsellor who can help figure out what these voices, these feelings mean to you, especially as they are so linked to cutting (I'm not sure if you cut , anyway, but the links between them might be good to look at).

I wish you all the best.

5. no point

no point Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies. I already have a councelor but I didn't tell her about the voices. I couldn't tell anyone just because I don't want them to think I am crazy. And it relieved me so much, ggg456, when you said some people who hear voices aren't mentally ill. Well, to answer your question, I just feel really uneasy before the voices start. It's like I have to do something, like hide, and it's as if the people and the things around me aren't real. It relieves me when I cut when I hear those voices because I have to distract myself and they stop most of the time when I cut. Well anyway, thanks again for your replies.

6. katblack77

katblack77 Active Member

I was at the Dr today and told him that over the last few weeks that I have heard ppl whispering my name in my ear. He told me not to worry and that it was a sigh of stress. Because it is actually my voice and nothing threathening (sp?)

7. sami

sami Well-Known Member

I have experienced the exact same thing as you, except I get hallucinations too.. my advice would be to tell your therapist what is happening. S/he may want to have you evaluated by a psychiatrist to rule out schizophrenia and will be able to arrange medication if it's needed. Also, try drawing/writing instead of cutting to make 'them' go away, it's a downward spiral otherwise.... Hope you get some support for this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.