• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Voluntarily going inpatient

I am thinking seriously of voluntarily going inpatient. Anyone who has ever done this can you please tell me your experience? I am petrified. I am in the United states. Thank you,
It is fine, just perfectly fine for you to do so... & in fact can make things easier all just depending on some things. For instance, it saves you from being placed on a 72-hour hold (which excludes the weekends by the way...)! And may allow them to keep a relatively less watchful eye on you (though there’s no guarantees on that!). They still did their 1/2 hour checks round the clock to ensure your safety. Even though you’re on essentially “lockdown.” At least... where I come from - and am (I’ve read of others having access to their phones which bobbles my mind as I didn’t even have access to my drawers!) ha— but, if you’re asking me: now; which (way) would I prefer = this way, over the “involuntary,” :^) . .

Shoot... come to think of it — it may have been half hour checks only after you’d been in there long enough for them to deem you stabilized (enough to be granted that timeframe, or window)? Now that I think abou lt im prett y sure they were 15 minute checks!! Ah it’d been to long-

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I think if you cannot guarantee your safety under your own watch, it is the safest and smartest thing to do. You might be started on 15 minute checks then as days go on moved up to 30 minutes. You should be allowed your phone and they will charge it up for you at reception. You may see your doctor every 2-3 days, they may review or change your meds. The nurses write up a report on you every day, they watch behaviour, mood, appetite, things like that.

You might find a lot of comfort in the fact you may meet others just like you and you can talk with them daily etc. If you are voluntary you can sign yourself out but its best you stay there for the break and you could make some friends. Voluntary can be changed to involuntary for some reasons such as you trying to harm yourself in there. I did see others trying to harm themselves in there too which was unsettling but that's just how it goes, the staff try to keep it as safe as possible.

There are usually activities in there too such as a gym, meditation classes, games, book groups.

It can help you in your recovery, go for it if you feel you cannot keep yourself safe.

This is my experience only.

Last edited:
I think if you cannot guarantee your safety under your own watch, it is the safest and smartest thing to do. You might be started on 15 minute checks then as days go on moved up to 30 minutes. You should be allowed your phone and they will charge it up for you at reception. You may see your doctor every 2-3 days, they may review or change your meds. The nurses write up a report on you every day, they watch behaviour, mood, appetite, things like that.

You might find a lot of comfort in the fact you may meet others just like you and you can talk with them daily etc. If you are voluntary you can sign yourself out but its best you stay there for the break and you could make some friends. Voluntary can be changed to involuntary for some reasons such as you trying to harm yourself in there. I did see others trying to harm themselves in there too which was unsettling but that's just how it goes, the staff try to keep it as safe as possible.

There are usually activities in there too such as a gym, meditation classes, games, book groups.

It can help you in your recovery, go for it if you feel you cannot keep yourself safe.

This is my experience only.
Overall did it help you?

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
A couple of times it definitely did - it kept me safe after a very serious attempt a good few years ago but other times were not so good. Mixed experiences. I think though that you should go for it, I see you struggling most days and I think being in there with like minded people to talk to and share experiences and get a rest from the outside world will do you the world of good, they could make sure your diagnosis's are correct and medications are helping you as much as possible, the whole experience could give you a better quality of life :)

FlamingoWrangler

Admission is the quickest way to get a helpful medication regimen. You also learn coping skills, interact with others and learn how to maintain your own safety.
Not every experience is great. But overall it can be life changing to get brain chemistry stabilized.
in the US, you aren't allowed personal items (phones, etc) At most hospitals.

let me know what you decide. I will look forward to hearing your experiene.
💜🦩

full

SF Supporter
I was taken in under Baker Act, but doc did ask me if okay before calling cops. For your own safety and also maybe if you need meds, which I did at the time and no insurance, I'd say yes.

ib4uib

I am thinking seriously of voluntarily going inpatient. Anyone who has ever done this can you please tell me your experience? I am petrified. I am in the United states. Thank you,
I went in once for 18 days.
It works for some people and not for others.

I was that disgusted with my stay in the hospital that I left a negative review on Trip Advisor.

Livelife

SF Supporter
To add in.... Companies can be different in how they interact/operate. Good nursing staff and medical staff is an extra blessing and can make a nice difference in your experience while there. If self safety is in the mix then going in is an excellent choice...
I see this post is from last week.....How are you doing?

Depends on where you go. if you have insurance or money. In my experience it can be the difference between getting better or worse. Some places arent theraputic because of boredom, no classes, Patient indifference. nothing to do.. The hope you could get is that a medicine combination can be found that helps. other wise find the most expensive psch hospital you can find and show up on their doorstep

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$255.00