Volunteer Work

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Clockwork Reality, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

The bottom line is that I think that I'm unhappy because I don't keep myself busy enough. My work hours suck (sometimes up to 16 hours a day), and I often work weekends. The time I have off I typically spend locked up and moping. I've made an attempt the past few months to get out and see more local sites (museums, shopping trips, running, fishing, etc) but I don't have the human contact that I want to have. I want to feel like I've made a difference somewhere.

I'm thinking about doing volunteer work on Saturdays now, but I really don't know what to pursue. I used to distribute food at a food pantry when I was in high school, but that's depressing because there were always too many people and we'd have to turn families away because we would run out of food. We'd always front-load those with kids first and then go to the elderly, but it was never enough.

I guess I could do a food pantry again, but I don't know. I'm thinking about trying to do something with a hospital (file management, maybe, there's no way I'm qualified enough to handle medication) but I'm not sure. I could also think about helping at a retirement community. I've always wanted to be a teacher, but schools are out of the question because of my work schedule (no schools open on Saturdays, after all.)

Do any of you have suggestions? I want to do something to help people, something that will make getting out of bed a little bit easier on Saturday mornings. I'm hoping that if I feel like I'm making a difference it will help my own mental health. It's been a rough month again.

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I'm also trying to find volunteer work.
    This was posted in March so I hope you have found something! :heart:

3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

you seem to have ideas yourself, hospital or the retirement home. both would need help and am sure would appreciate your input :smile: