• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Wah! That makes me uncomfortable!

Inanimate

Can anyone enlighten me as to what mental gymnastics one needs to pull off in order to find this offensive?

“Q?”

Anyone?

My niece supposedly sent this several times in a group chat with her friends, who happen to have a track record for quibbling over nonsense and being overly sensitive. She maintained that she didn’t know how to spell “Que?” so she typed “Q?” instead. One can argue that she could’ve typed “What?” in lieu of “Que?” like a normal human being instead of needlessly complicating things. That’s my niece. Nevertheless, she doesn’t need to explain herself to them for typing the fucking letter Q in the chat with a question mark to boot, which I guess is an insult to their refined sensibilities.

Anyway, they admonished her to stop, which upset her. While she’s a tad sensitive herself, I know firsthand the drudgery and exasperation of walking around eggshells in an endeavor to simply communicate with someone and, if I’m feeling ambitious, convey my sense of humor.

By and large, I think their problem is with the alphabet, not my niece’s moral sense.

Last edited:

Optimistic Goatman

The woolly enigmatic one
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Can anyone enlighten me as to what mental gymnastics one needs to pull off in order to find this offensive?

“Q?”

Anyone?

My niece supposedly sent this several times in a group chat with her friends, who happen to have a track record for quibbling over nonsense and being overly sensitive. She maintained that she didn’t know how to spell “Que?” so she typed “Q?” instead. One can argue that she could’ve typed “What?” in lieu of “Que?” like a normal human being instead of needlessly complicating things. That’s my niece. Nevertheless, she doesn’t need to explain herself to them for typing the fucking letter Q in the chat with a question mark to boot, which I guess is an insult to their refined sensibilities.

Anyway, they admonished her to stop, which upset her. While she’s a tad sensitive herself, I know firsthand the drudgery and exasperation of walking around eggshells in an endeavor to simply communicate with someone and, if I’m feeling ambitious, convey my sense of humor.

By and large, I think their problem is with the alphabet, not my niece’s moral sense.
I agree with the others. I've gotten pretty involved in feminist discussion these days, and even i cannot begin to see where the offense is.
What exactly were they admonishing her by saying? Surely there must be some thread of logic here, however flimsy, right?

Optimistic Goatman

The woolly enigmatic one
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Ooooooohhhhhh, ok.
I looked into it, apparently Q is kind of a messed up thing to reference, since supposedly he's the author of a series of conspiracist posts claiming that Trump is at war with "a secret cabal of Satan worshipping pedophile criminals run by the Hollywood Elite and politicians like Hillary Clinton". It's the origin of Qanon, which has that going on, plus it's linked with domestic terrorism, and a lot of anti-Semitic sentiment....
It's also where you get stories like Pizzagate, if you've heard of that before.
I've heard these things all referenced before, i've just never looked into how they were all connected up to now.

So I totally believe your niece didn't mean any harm by saying "Q", but maybe the people she was talking to weren't so convinced she wasn't memeing about some pretty dark stuff, which tends to only be done by the same people who genuinely propagate and believe in it.

Optimistic Goatman

The woolly enigmatic one
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Also one to warn her to stay away from if we're getting into the way the extreme right has ruined ordinary language: chicken tendies. Especially talking about burning them, accidental or otherwise. Because 4chan has decided that's actually a veiled reference to the holocaust...

And she'd better not drink milk, because that's a symbol of white power these days.

4chan and 8chan do this shit a lot. They take innocuous language, and ascribe horrific associations to it, until just about anyone can slip up and accidentally declare they're pro-slavery or something.

Inanimate

I'm so confused as to why people found that offensive. I'm trying to look at it from every possible angle, and I'm just not seeing it.
I agree with the others. I've gotten pretty involved in feminist discussion these days, and even i cannot begin to see where the offense is.
My wildest guess was that Q resembles the fertilization of an egg, which alludes to birth and is, by extension, pro-life. By brandishing Q in chat, she is rubbing salt in the wound/womb (even though these kids are 13-14 years old). However, this takes the cake:
I looked into it, apparently Q is kind of a messed up thing to reference, since supposedly he's the author of a series of conspiracist posts claiming that Trump is at war with "a secret cabal of Satan worshipping pedophile criminals run by the Hollywood Elite and politicians like Hillary Clinton". It's the origin of Qanon, which has that going on, plus it's linked with domestic terrorism, and a lot of anti-Semitic sentiment....
Astonishing. I can’t wait to tell her, and my nephew, as well as my siblings. Thank you for taking it upon yourself to look it up and share it. May this drivel serve as a clue into the high opinion that her friends share of her and just about every normie who utilizes the English language.

Ironically, my niece isn’t the least bit versed in politics. She probably doesn’t even know who Hillary Clinton is, much less what most of these buzzwords even mean.
What exactly were they admonishing her by saying? Surely there must be some thread of logic here, however flimsy, right?
They merely urged her to stop from what I heard. It’s one thing to find offense within a letter of the alphabet, but it’s another to have to deign to explain why to the offender.

Optimistic Goatman

The woolly enigmatic one
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Somehow I doubt that 13-14 year olds would know that particular reference, but I could be wrong. Who knows.
Oh, you'd be surprised how young the kids are that are getting mixed up in these conversations. The younger they are, the easier they are to indoctrinate, so some particularly unscrupulous internet individuals not only recruit kids that young, they actively brag about the number of kids that age who support them.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Also one to warn her to stay away from if we're getting into the way the extreme right has ruined ordinary language: chicken tendies.
'Chicken tendies' was once ordinary language? I'd never heard of it till about 5 minutes ago when I scrolled up. I googled and all I got was something about a guy who lives with his mother and then some weird song on Urban Dictionary about ...Uh...Ya know what? I don't even fuckin know, yep that's how old I am.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00