Walking in dark?

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Do you think it's ok or not to walk bu myself in the morning before sunrise? I'm nervous because it's still dark out. My neighborhood is safe but still.

I've been feeling restless lately and the only reason I can think of is because if this new med added to others. It makes me get up like almost 2 hours earlier, seriously!? 🀣😳

Thanks for reading

I think it's ok, just stay aware! I think our fears and anxiety make things seem way worse than they actually are. I went out a few months ago in the dark before sunrise and I felt a bit sick. Found myself looking around like a paranoid person but after 5 minutes I calmed down and realized it was fine and actually quite refreshing! I felt much more confident afterwards

Kiwi2016

🦩 Now a flamingo, not a kiwi 🦩
SF Pro
I too feel a bit nervous walking before dawn so go around my block till sunrise and then venture further out...missed my walk this am :( as overslept...sigh...

I've been feeling restless lately and the only reason I can think of is because if this new med added to others. It makes me get up like almost 2 hours earlier, seriously!? 🀣😳
Do you think you'd be able to engage in some other activity (e.g., meditation, yoga) instead?

I think you'd probably be safe, but it sounds like you'd feel more comfortable staying indoors when it's still dark.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Unless in a dangerous area, you are most likely safe from most any person. Here it is the animals that can be a danger when out. When I was younger I did have fun watching a beered up local who decided to try riding a 300 or so pound wild pig. He got on it then could not figure out how to get off without being tusked to death so I helped him out with that. I was pretty loaded too so I could see the humor in the situation, but those things are quite dangerous.

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
When I was on 10mg of Abilify, it made me restless, and I couldn't deal with it because it reminded me of dope withdrawal...something I never want to have to experience again. So I had the doctor lower my dose from 10 to 5mg, and ever since then, I haven't felt the restlessness. Maybe you need to lower your dose or try a different medication because I know feeling like that has to be very uncomfortable. Although, if the benefit you get from the medication outweighs having to deal with the side effect, then obviously, stay on it. But it's up to you; you do have a choice in the matter. I would get your doctor's advice on what to do. Walking for some extra exercise and burning off some energy is always a good thing, but you don't want it to get to the point where it affects your sleep and peace of mind. So I don't think whether or not your neighborhood is safe enough is the issue here. The issue is why you feel the need to do it in the first place.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Unless in a dangerous area, you are most likely safe from most any person. Here it is the animals that can be a danger when out. When I was younger I did have fun watching a beered up local who decided to try riding a 300 or so pound wild pig. He got on it then could not figure out how to get off without being tusked to death so I helped him out with that. I was pretty loaded too so I could see the humor in the situation, but those things are quite dangerous.
Omg. I'd pay money to watch that @KM76710. 🀣

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
When I was on 10mg of Abilify, it made me restless, and I couldn't deal with it because it reminded me of dope withdrawal...something I never want to have to experience again. So I had the doctor lower my dose from 10 to 5mg, and ever since then, I haven't felt the restlessness. Maybe you need to lower your dose or try a different medication because I know feeling like that has to be very uncomfortable. Although, if the benefit you get from the medication outweighs having to deal with the side effect, then obviously, stay on it. But it's up to you; you do have a choice in the matter. I would get your doctor's advice on what to do. Walking for some extra exercise and burning off some energy is always a good thing, but you don't want it to get to the point where it affects your sleep and peace of mind. So I don't think whether or not your neighborhood is safe enough is the issue here. The issue is why you feel the need to do it in the first place.
Thanks. I knew it had to be the medicine. I'm going from like 0 to 100. I've always jogged, as a teen and young mom but now this new found every is like, really? πŸ˜³πŸ˜†

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I
sometimes I actually initiate eye contact on purpose and kinda blankly glare at people so they think I'm the one to be scared of even though I'm the one that's scared and I feel more safe *rofl
I took a womend self defense class on the mind of an attacker. And they gave tips on how to walk, approach your car, things like that. I like yours @lost_in_a_fairytale *hi5

I will think about posting some tips here come t think if it. One was to make a lot of noise if confronted, bcz an attacker doesn't want attention drawn to them. I'd make such a racket they'd be shitten their pants.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I will just take anything to not feel depressed in bed and dwell in the past. The weird thing is @Aurelia I take topiramate for mid and impulsive behavior and now the ambilify is making me...well or i find i shop, eat and drink more like its counteracting it. Like you said maybe lower dosage. I have phone appointment week if Thansgiving. It does feel good to enjoy eating and wanting to do stuff again tho

I

I took a womend self defense class on the mind of an attacker. And they gave tips on how to walk, approach your car, things like that. I like yours @lost_in_a_fairytale *hi5

I will think about posting some tips here come t think if it. One was to make a lot of noise if confronted, bcz an attacker doesn't want attention drawn to them. I'd make such a racket they'd be shitten their pants.
that's good. I remember reading somewhere it's good to give eye contact cause if you look down and look nervous they see you as an easy target. Yeah I heard about the noise thing too

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I

Smart move. There are many little tips that can make an edge and are often so common sense and simple they get overlooked. Noise IS your friend and with so many cars now having the fob key to open the door it has an alarm, you do want to draw all the attention possible. If possible leaving some place attach yourself close enough to any group of people that seems to going in the same general direction that you are so that it appears you are with them and can at least that you can draw their attention. They may not help but you want the commotion and their eyes on what is happening. Criminals are predators and mostly want as soft a target as they can locate.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Smart move. There are many little tips that can make an edge and are often so common sense and simple they get overlooked. Noise IS your friend and with so many cars now having the fob key to open the door it has an alarm, you do want to draw all the attention possible. If possible leaving some place attach yourself close enough to any group of people that seems to going in the same general direction that you are so that it appears you are with them and can at least that you can draw their attention. They may not help but you want the commotion and their eyes on what is happening. Criminals are predators and mostly want as soft a target as they can locate.
Thanks @KM76710. I'll remember that and share it with my daughter. Another tip. Which you definately dont need, ha is to NOT yell help. But Fire. People wont pay attention to help but yes to fire *faints

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
There's also this device that you can buy and attach to your bag or key chain (i just saw it the other day) -& you press a button or pull a pin and it emits a sound from Hell that will send every one in sight / earshot looking your direction at once/im me di at ely! ;) It kind of looks likee a mini glade air freshener thing, only more portable compact and obviously user friendly. was developed buy some guy who'd lost his daughter ( think & still has not been found...
I guess he said that that's one of the first things likely for someone to do - is t o try & cover your mouth (so you cannot scream) & this might - or something liek it_ be good in case you happen to drop your car keys or something I don't really know. I could try gto find it again, but it's been like two days , maybe and i am terrible at looking shtuff up on the internet..;) it was also like the color of one of those glad plug in things that yo8u pulg into the wall or outlet socket ...ya prolly know what i mean? or i jhope! ;)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00