Walmart selling black Barbie for less, than white Barbie.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by boo, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Walmart is raising eyebrows after cutting the price of a black Barbie doll to nearly half of that of the doll's white counterpart at one store and possibly others.
    Famous 1940s test used dolls and kids to gain insight into race perspectives. They are exactly the same mind you, except the racial color difference.

Source

So is it racist or supply & demand kinda thing...?

2. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I can't see a multi-billion dollar worldwide corporation making decisions using anything other than dollar-based logic. It just doesn't work.

4. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart probably just has an equation that calculates supply and demand (and thus determines price).

I wouldn't be surprised if it's more of a result of the buyers.

5. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

ABC find this newsworthy?

Really?

6. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

lol I saw that on the wanda sykes show and she was saying how the black barbie might innitially cost cheaper but black barbie needs nails and hair done, and expensive clothes etc...so the buyers should take it and run...

she's a black comedian...really funny...

i think sometimes people make a big thing out of nothing...but then again who knows...maybe black barbie isnt selling as much as white barbie...

about the guy who said all the black people leave on the store intercom, that was not right, that was racist and inappropriate...

7. flyingdutchmen

flyingdutchmen Well-Known Member

the barby seems just to be one thing, in post nr 2 is another wallmart related story. coinsidence ?

8. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

So a Blake Doll is having a price cut compared to its White counterpart Doll?

So X product is having a price cut and y product isnt? This happens all the time with products. You'll have something from a movie that really sticks out and people want to buy it, and yet the company will make all these other products from the movie no body wants. Those products that no body wants recieve price cuts at later dates.

man I wish I lived in a day where this bullshit didnt happen, where prices didnt exsist, but even if they did, colour would never be an issue

9. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Why would you think the CEO is racist? The price was lowered due to supply and demand, blame the public for not buying if you want to accuse anyone of racism.

About the "black people leave" remark, the paper says:

"Officials with Wal-Mart Stores Inc., based in Bentonville, Ark., said that the announcement was "unacceptable" and that they're trying to determine who made it and how it happened."

"We are just as appalled by this incident as our customers," the company said in a statement. "Whoever did this is just wrong and acted in an inappropriate manner. Clearly, this is completely unacceptable to us and to our customers."

So I think its safe to assume that if they find out who did it, and if it was an employee, hes not going to have a job for much longer.

10. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I think this sort of thing has always been an issue Blake :p

11. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Probably because there aren't enough black people to buy the black dolls. It's not an issue of racism. Why would White children buy a black doll, anyway? It's quite representative of the population; more white people = more white dolls sell; less black people and same amount of black dolls as white dolls = deficit

12. An Angel in Black

An Angel in Black Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2010
  13. An Angel in Black

An Angel in Black Well-Known Member

exactly!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.