Walter Cronkite dead at 92

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by shades, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shades

shades Staff Alumni

For those of you who do not know who he is, the short version would be...

He was one of the most reverred, influential, intelligent, highly respected reporter/journalist and writers of the 20th Century.

He was so influential, that after visiting Vietnam, he declared on national television that we could not win that war.

When President Lyndon Johnson heard that, he said "if I've lost Walter Cronkite, I've lost middle America". He was a major player in the beginning of the end of our involvement in Vietnam.

If anyone deserves a farewell tribute, it is Walter Cronkite.

2. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

Agreed, he was before my time but still was the greatest and most influential jouranlist of the 20th century, and quiet possibly ever. He was an American icon for almost 50 years, and the fact that he worked in the news industry for so long and no one ever had a bad thing to say about him is a tesitment to his character. There will never be another like him.

3. pit

pit Well-Known Member

And that's the way it is. Goodnight, Walter.

4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Well said guys. The man definitely represented the highest standards of both his industry and human integrity in general. He deserves a lot of attention.

5. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

I'm too young to have watched him on TV but I have heard and done research on him for many different topics including Vietnam and the Nuremberg Trials. rip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.