Wanna suppress anxiety, read this!

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Cpt-Fantastic, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cpt-Fantastic

Cpt-Fantastic Banned Member

20-second medicine

I was reading this book called The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine and according to Brizendine a rush of oxytocin and dopamine to the brain will suppress anxiety. And one way to release oxytocin in women is hugging and cuddling. Oxytocin is naturally released in the brain after a twenty-second hug, triggering the trust circuits, Men, she says, have to be touched two to three times more frequently to sustain the same levels of oxytocin as women.

So start of your day with a 20-second hug and suppress anxiety, doctors order!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2011
  2. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

Re: 20-second medicine

That's actually more depressing than inspiring, but I guess I could start hugging inanimate objects.
  3. hornbeam

hornbeam Well-Known Member

well yes thank you for takingthe time to print this out - I think however if we all had that someone special on hand to hug-we wouldnt be here.......
  4. texaskitty

texaskitty SF Friend and Antiquities Friend Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

That is very interesting. I never knew that.

I did know that lack of touch for babies is bad for their development, maybe this is in the same way.

and heres a :hug: its only cyber but its the best I can do!
  5. alixer

alixer Active Member

Men need 2-3 times more than that? As a guy, I'm actually not surprised. We know that. It does however fly in the face of a lot of stereotypes.
  6. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I am curious if the study was limited to human contact specifically, or if the same alleged benefit could be gotten from, say, a pet?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.