want to talk to people in the same position

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by charlie graham, Oct 15, 2016.

1. charlie graham

charlie graham New Member

hello, im 21 and have had depression for about 4 years now, been seeing a shrink and on meds for about 6 months now. thought i was doing better after a few months but have slipped back to being in a dark place. i have started thinking about suicide and self harm although the reactions of my family if i did are whats stopping me. i dont really know why im on here because as most of you have probably found, even the most profound and true advice just doesnt sink in unless you are ready to hear it. guess id like to chat to people if the want to who are dealing with this so i dont feel so alone in it
  2. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

I really get that and it's so true. You could be given the best advice in the world but it doesn't mean you will take it. A lot of people are scared to take it. In my own experience I don't want to conquer it as it's a big part of what I know, which is absurd but doesn't change things.

It is good you are already under some form of treatment even if it just takes the edge of the mood swings depression can bring on. The site will give you other people to talk to who are going through the same ordeal. Talking may even start to help you mend the damage that the underlying issue has done (the one(s) that caused the depression).

Keep posting and welcome to the forum!
  3. troubledmind

troubledmind Active Member

Hi Charlie Graham, I'm glad to see you here.. It is a good means of support.. I see you are seeing a shrink?? What about therapy?? Shrinks are good for handing out meds but not much more.. A good therapist can drag all kinds of stuff out of you.. I was in therapy for four years and she taught me how to lock away those suicidal thoughts.. There still there I just don't think about them anymore.. As far as you slipping backwards maybe it's the meds.. Not all meds help.. Some do for a while then quit working.. It takes several changes until you find some that work..I have been dealing with my demons for 18 years and am still fighting.. It can be done.. Take Care..
  4. PhoenixFailed

PhoenixFailed SF Supporter

Welcome. Your so right in that we are in this together and I know I have passed of gems of wisdom because it was not the right time and I was not ready. I am new too but have already found so much caring support and my first night (Friday), the members here helped save my life and feel connected to the world. I am glad you are here (but not that you have reason to be). There are amazing wise minds here. I hope you find the support you need.

By the way, good for you for keeping your family in mind. It is a smart strategy for keeping through the hardest times. Also, just being here opens you to the opportunity to hear something that might help. Also a great strategy, your openness to being here is another skill you have and are wise enough to use.