Want to tell someone I am Bipolar?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by anarulesmenow, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

Noone really knows apart from my mother who still doesnt believe it. I really want to just tell a friend just to get it out there but Im not sure how.
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I would be careful. I would be very careful... A lot of people can't take it. I lost one of my two longest friends to telling him about it. That's not atypical. Most health care practitioners suggest you keep it under wraps... Maybe try to gauge his/her view on mental illness some other way?
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I would tell my friend. If they're a true friend they will support you no matter what. A mental illness is not something to be ashamed of, it can happen to anyone.
  4. ExtreemWays

ExtreemWays Active Member

Hi anarulesmenow,

I agree with aoeu. Be carefull who you tell. I've lost friends and had collegues never speak to me again.

It's really weird! Why people react that way.

One month after I was diagnosed with bp my wife asked for (and got) a divorce. My friends lasted longer but eventually went the way of the wind too.

In my experience, if you tell people, most of them will automatically view your disorder as a weakness and they immediately take a dominant stance.

I agree with Inmemoryofyou too, but you really have to have a good friend. I thought I had good friends, but they are all gone now.

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

maybe you could test the waters by saying you saw something on tv about bipolar and how it made you feel. then you could ask her what she thinks. if it goes well you could disclose more.

for me, i'm bipolar. everyone knows, family and friends. it's been okay, with one exception. i'm sad about the loss of that one friendship but glad to be "out" with the rest of them.
  6. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

I have some friends I could tell and they wouldn't fall out with me, but they don't live so close to me so I'd have to text them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.