Wanting to try a free counseling center

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Damask, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damask

Damask Well-Known Member

So I really think I need a lot of help.

Things that my friends have said to me have made me come to see this.

But I have no insurance.

So I've been looking into a free walk-in type clinic.

The thing is, though, how do I gather up the guts to go?

It would be one thing if I had an appointment, but this place you just walk in.

I don't know if I can muster up the courage to do it.

Tell me how stupid I'm being.

2. Samara

Samara Account Closed

Part of getting the courage for some people is just simply not thinking about it, which would mean that you basically head there, and wait... and you don't sit and decide, but literally force yourself to go. If that means getting someone to drive you, so now you have no choice but to go, or leaving now and waiting it out etc... then so be it.

Other people get courage from learning more about it, and how the process works, so that their doubts can be calmed, and that their misconceptions can be cleared up, and so that there are little to no 'surprises'... about how it would go down, or what can be said or done etc... The clinic for example may have a wait time. Due to being walk in, there may be a lot of other people who get seen too, so go in early.

It is not stupid to sit and consider it, but it is not right for you to spend so much time worrying and wondering about it, that you never actually do anything about it either.

You are considering this for a reason, do not forget that...that reason is a deep and very desperate need to get some help... help which you know (with your ego down), that you need from an outside source, because on your own, you are only driving yourself deeper into the hole.

Do you have an Ipod or something? An MP3 player? Something that you can listen to on your way there, something that you can do if you do have to wait once you are there etc... something to occupy yourself, because as you said it's a walk in... so do you own anything like a book, or music player etc.... that you can put your attention on, and focus on so that it's less awkward and gives you something to do while you enter, or if you have to sit and wait etc...?

Is there someone in your real life who can go with you? Can you be held accountable to them? Can you find one person who you can ask just to go with you to it, and wait for you to be seen, and return with you? They do not have to enter the office with you, but just asking for support to have to not go alone... is this a possibility?

What about calling in, and asking about how it works, or how many people show up, or when is a good time to go etc...? Maybe giving yourself, again, more answers than doubts?

:Hug:

Consider doing it, in a way where you decide "I am going to do this"...and you shower, get dressed etc...and ready to go, and plan out the drive/bus ride so that you get there on time, and head out. Whether or not you flake in the middle, is something else (might be less likely to flake once you have physically begun doing it), but set it in your mind to go do it, and begin little steps to get there, like getting ready, and figuring out the time to be there etc...

:hug:

3. Damask

Damask Well-Known Member

I don't really have anyone that can come with me. They'd all be at work, and not only that but I actually want to keep this a secret. At least at first.

And I've been reading up about them and the process on their website, and that made me feel a bit better. And reading your post made me feel better, too. Thanks for that. :)

I'm just going to do it. I can make it on Wednesday. I'll write it in my schedule book, since once it gets in the book it is set in stone. :)

I just hope I don't chicken out and spend the whole time sitting in my car, too scared to go in. haha

4. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

taking that first step through the door can be the hardest thing in the world but the option is doing nothing and continuing the way we are or doing something and perhaps making things better, i opt for the latter

good luck

5. Damask

Damask Well-Known Member

That is very true.

6. Damask

Damask Well-Known Member

Blah I didn't make it.

I was going to go, but I was at my parents' house, and my dad was all, "LET'S MAKE PANCAKES!"

Well, how can I say no to that?

I was feeling better anyway.

7. Samara

Samara Account Closed

It might be wise to try and go again anyway, because the same issues are only going to creep up again in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.