Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Huw, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huw

Huw Well-Known Member

If this is in the wrong place then I apologize.

I was wondering if anyone on here was warned when they were young, that life has no relation to what the fiction writers make it out to be. That life can be dull as well as exciting. That boredom needs to be experienced. That friends disappoint and that everything in the garden is not constantly smelling of roses.

For me growing up was looking forward to birthdays and getting to the age where I wouldn't need to ask for permission to do things. I wanted to be my own boss! I wanted to fly the flag of independence, but nobody warned me about the trials and tribulations that accompany the decision making process. The responsibilities I'd have to face and the many disappointments along the way.

They don't teach these things in school and as far as I'm concerned these are ''facts of life''.

Then I ask myself if someone had warned me, would I have paid attention and changed course??????????
  2. Daijou

Daijou Well-Known Member

I think this post would belong more in "The Uncertainty Principle" section of the forums, but no big deal.

Personally though, I was never warned too much about the realities of life growing up. But things were always hard for me, growing up poor and always moving around, trying to make ends meet and such, so in a way I kind of learned all the harsh lessons at a younger age just from experience. I think that kind of had a large affect on me becoming the huge pessimist that I am today. In a way, I think I would've preferred to maintain some innocence to to world, but there's no changing that now.

Also, while there may not be actual classes to teach life lessons, the last two years of high school, I had this amazing teacher. Nearly half of every lesson he would teach us valuable things that would help us get by after we graduated and joined the 'real world.' It's a shame schools don't implement anything like that.. can't say much of anything I learned has applied other than what that teacher taught me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.