WARNING might trigger, need help to stop self harming.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by honeybun30, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honeybun30

honeybun30 Member

Hiya all been a while since I posted on here was doing really well as far as self harming goes, but recently I have started again with a passion I cannot control. I have recently got engaged and should be happy right.... well I am but the past is still firmly positioned at the front of my thoughts, I have post traumatic stress disorder (ptsd) and the flashbks are so vivid at the moment, I have nightmares which are also getting worse I keep shouting out parts of the attack that I had pushed far back in my mind. I cannot cope with them any more hence the self harm. I am currently on medication for the ptsd and am awaiting counselling after being assessed by 2 seperate companies. Feel as though I am expected to just snap out of it, believe me I have tried and failed miserably. I would appreciate any tips anyone feels may help, I am worried that I am gonna go too far hence I am writing on here instead of self harming again. Please help if you can I do not know where else to turn.
  2. clairedelune

clairedelune Well-Known Member

I hope the meds will take effect soon. Keep on writing. That will keep you from doing such unmentionable act. Take care of yourself and congratulations to you being engaged, you should be one of the happiest ladies on earth.
  3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i have tried many things over the years to stop self harming. here's what's working for me these days.

i take a pen or marker and write on the part of my body where i usually cut (for me that's my inner arms). i take some time and think about what i really need to hear to comfort myself and that's what i write. sometimes it's "you are safe now" or "he can't hurt you anymore" or "you are brave" ... you get the idea. that way when the urges come over me and i look at where i want to cut (which is part of my ritual), i get this affirming message instead. it works really well for me.

good luck finding something that helps. remember that you already survived the experience once. this is just fallout, very painful i agree, but just fallout. i also have ptsd. medication helped me a lot with the nightmares and flashbacks. so did therapy.
  4. honeybun30

honeybun30 Member

I am happy like I said in my post, this just makes me feel more guilty for feeling the way I do, people keep saying I should be greatful, thankful etc I know that but the thoughts in my head, the urges sometimes overide the parts of me that are estatically happy. I will try the writing thing instead maybe it will help me as it has helped you right now I will try just about anything. I want to be a good mom and wife honestly I do.
  5. Push

Push Well-Known Member

People who tell you to be greatful and thankful may be well meaning, but are full of crap. It's not your fault you feel this way. You have nothing to feel guilty about. Easier said than done I know.
  6. honeybun30

honeybun30 Member

Thank you push. Cannot deal with the guilt.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.