was going to leave SF but taking baby steps

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by kittyD, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

A few days ago I had decided that I was going to leave SF because I was feeling too much pain. I'm an empath and when I'm feeling weak I absorb a lot of others pain.
    But I decided that I can change that by not reading each and every thread, posting for myself and how I'm feeling.
    12 step groups taught me that I also have to give to receive healing so I'm going to try my damn'dness to try to greet a newcomer each time I'm on the site and to only read certain threads and then let them go.
    I'm feeling a bit better about life in general and I'm starting to take baby steps to keep feeling that way, sometimes replying to others helps me get my self into perspective.
    :unsure: so each day each minute at a time.
    kD

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Congrats :smile:
    I agree you have to give to receive. And I am with you on reading certain posts and letting them go. Particularly the ones where you can tell that the person doesn't want to get better. Those hurt me the most. All lot of people here are in pain, but in many there is an unwillingess to take the help of others, and then there are those posts where you sense that hint of hope and positivity, and you just know they are going to get better, and I tend to put more of myself into those posts, or at least I am going to attempt to put more of myself into those posts. They warm my heart.

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I do not believe in altruism, so I feel we do give to receive...take the time you need and know we are always here...if you feel you get too 'connected' to the content of ppl's despair, see if you can find a boundary...an imposed distance which allows you to be with others without taking in their pain too much...it is not fraudulant to do this, and allows one to help without getting burned out...if you feel leaving is best for you...best of luck...big hugs, J

4. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

i understand what you are saying kitty, i too feel others pain and sorrow, sometimes i read a thread and it breaks my heart to hear how bad some people feel and how they want to go, especially the younger ones.

but having found myself in a place where i am ok with my life due to sf i want to help or at least listen to others.

5. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

Thanks, I've usually been able to detach from others pain, but I think I was reading too many threads and it was overwhelming me. I seem to have regained some personal perspective. Besides the concept of giving, I whole heartedly believe that sometimes that one phrase we blurt out can be the one that changes a life. So I want to deal with my own pains but share back to others also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.