Was the moonwalk a hoax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortal Moon

All the "official" sources claim it really happened, of course. But after careful examination of the available footage, I have to say I've become very skeptical.

It just doesn't seem possible within the laws of physics as currently understood. My personal, tentative hypothesis is that there's some kind of combination treadmill-pulley system involved. But I leave it as a question to you: do you honestly believe that this individual (parenthetically a known drug-user and suspected child abuser) was somehow able to defy all known principles of human locomotion? Or is it, as some bloggers believe, a massive cover-up by the U.S. Federal Government? I'm not saying yes or no, I'm just asking questions.

All the "official" sources claim it really happened, of course. But after careful examination of the available footage, I have to say I've become very skeptical.

It just doesn't seem possible within the laws of physics as currently understood. My personal, tentative hypothesis is that there's some kind of combination treadmill-pulley system involved. But I leave it as a question to you: do you honestly believe that this individual (parenthetically a known drug-user and suspected child abuser) was somehow able to defy all known principles of human locomotion? Or is it, as some bloggers believe, a massive cover-up by the U.S. Federal Government? I'm not saying yes or no, I'm just asking questions.
No, Mythbusters already proved it actually happened.
They had an entire episode dedicated to it.

Lovecraft

Mythbusters didn't prove it happened, they proved that certain claims made to discredit the moon landing aren't tenable. Ex: the way the footprints stayed in place on the surface, the flag waving, etc.

Given that there's the whole of the Saturn V rocket's systems - one of the most complex instruments ever made - and it's perfectly well known that instruments were being deposited in space in the early 60's. We have the ISS orbiting above now. Why is so hard to believe?

Mortal Moon

Mythbusters didn't prove it happened, they proved that certain claims made to discredit the moon landing aren't tenable. Ex: the way the footprints stayed in place on the surface, the flag waving, etc.

Given that there's the whole of the Saturn V rocket's systems - one of the most complex instruments ever made - and it's perfectly well known that instruments were being deposited in space in the early 60's. We have the ISS orbiting above now. Why is so hard to believe?
Did you even watch the link? I think the evidence is fairly conclusive.

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter

Fail.

It most certainly happened. It just never happened with MY feet.

I WISH I could do that. As an old fart, I remember seeing that when the Moon Walk first occurred. I STILL can't do it.

Pretty cool if you ask me :) (fun thread!)

bhawk

all credible evidence leads me to believe it happened as they claim. The counter claims i have heard are often highly flawed arguments which assert things which are clearly untrue

chjones21

I haven't really watched it but I am not convinced it happened - or at least what I would say is that perhaps they DID manage to land on the moon but for some reason the footage did not come out.... therefore they faked the footage later as there was so much pressure/competition between America and Russia (Russia having got the first man in space) that they couldn't bear the fact that they HAD landed there but didn't have the film proof...

Why they wouldn't have had the film proof could be for a myriad of reasons - I mean in those days you couldn't even put your camera through the x-ray machine at the airport or it would wipe all your images off your film. There are, I presume, a million reasons why the footage could have failed.

And I think it probably did.

That is not to say that I don't think they landed there though....

I am also a bit suspicious (I haven't really watched the archives, so I might have this wrong) but calling and speaking from space --- apparently there wasn't any great time lag - well, again in those days just calling Africa to England there was a massive great time lag before the person heard what you were saying on the phone.

My feeling is that they couldn't be seen to have NOT got there - with the Russians winning the space race. Especially if they did get there and if it meant mocking up what had actually happened, then so be it - they decided to do that and HAVE the proof to show to all and sundry around the world on TV.

jota1

If I were a betting man then I would bet with those that say NO, it did not happen. Why? because we are now 100 times better equipped, and yet we can not figure out how to get there again.

I once campaigned arduously against the unbelievers but now I am not so sure, I think the world was hoodwinked by the US and the arms race.

chjones21

Oh..... :)

My excuse being that it takes long enough for my computer to load up anything so clicking links is the last thing I do... still I did finally now!

Fitzy

Even if you didn't click on the link, there was a big clue in the second paragraph. There is a clear reference to an individual; to drug abuse; to child abuse. Didn't that make anyone stop and think?

Lovecraft

LOL, only clicked now! My only excuse is that people in general are fed up of clicking links from youtube!
Yes.

Even if you didn't click on the link, there was a big clue in the second paragraph. There is a clear reference to an individual; to drug abuse; to child abuse. Didn't that make anyone stop and think?
It'd hardly be the most ridiculous thing someone's tried to defend here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00