Was Your attempt carefully planned or impulsive?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by downunder, Aug 11, 2008.

?

Was Your Attempt on the Spur of the moment or carefully planned? What went wrong?

1. It was planned

179 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. It was on the spur of the moment

184 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. I was bored and had nothing else to do

14 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. None of the above

10 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. I got caught in the act

61 vote(s)
    14.5%
  6. I changed my mind

78 vote(s)
    18.6%
  7. I woke up in hospital

72 vote(s)
    17.1%
  8. I got sectioned

30 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. None of the above

37 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Would just like to know whether people's attempts were impulsive, like right on the spur of the moment, or carefully planned?

What went wrong? Did you get caught or change your mind?

2. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

My first attempt, ten years ago was a hastily improvised plan B (overdose) after I my first chosen plan was thwarted. My second attempt, six months ago was originally a planned one but it was going to be agonizing and I didn't want to die suffering physically (or leave a scarring mental image for loved ones) so I made a pathetic plan B attempt which just made me vomit.

I never told anyone about the second attempt because I didn't want to go into the hospital again and I didn't want the close scrutiny and constant worry from my family. I am riding this whole thing out in denial of how much danger I am in hoping for a significant improvement in my mental health and living circumstances.

3. riddle

riddle Member

have you gotten your kidneys/liver checked?

4. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Have planned many-even remember being on the floor with a bottle of aspirin telling my mom I wuz gonna eat it. It was a very long time ago. Tried a bunch of stuff since, nothing worked. Tried the garage, jumping, pills etc.-always been this way. Fit the stats to a T, but it's not easy nor is it guaranteed or
    recommended. I can only assume the best bet is to wait it out and have the desire to be amused in the meantime. :cool:In a wholesome, family type of way.

5. riddle

riddle Member

i found it difficult to respond to because different times had different motives and i couldn't decide if an accidental overdose counted (though i ended up in the psych ward anyway, apparently the on call pdoc didn't trust me.) i think some attempts are simultaneously planned and impulsive. i can have a plan, or more, in mind but, something that day, triggers that attempt e.g. a rejection letter, or even the inability to complete a small task that you "should" be able to. so where exactly does that fit. and if i change my mind because i don't want anyone to witness me (intending to jump once everyone has gone) and being apprehended by the police. i didn't know where to place things, so i choose more than one answer.

6. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Mine was the spur of the moment... I was a lot longer and stupider back then. I did something that could have killed my family when I was home alone and if I didn't change my mind about wanting to die I could have killed them... I am a fucking horrible person I can't even believe I would be so selfish to relieve my pain. I wish I wouldn't have tried because I think about what I could have done every day and every time I do I start crying and feel like I don't deserve to be on the Earth. I don't deserve the family I have and it's horrible that every time I see them I think of how I almost took their lives by mistake. Fuck my foolishness and fuck cars.

7. jam1e

jam1e Guest

My first attempt was planned in November 2005. <mod edit-gentlelady-methods>ohmy:
    Panicked, drove, passed out from loss of blood and crashed.
    I came so close, but was found and survived!:sad:
    I always look back and wish i hadn't been found, as at the time my work life insurance would have paid out and my family would have been secure. Now that they know how i feel they have terminated that part of the insurance.
    Very selfish really, could have killed somebody on the road, oddly i feel more guilty about that than i do if i have of died and left my immediate family to cope??:sad:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  8. Eliezer

Eliezer Member

My first attempt was very carefully planned. I almost did it. My second, was in a moment of deep sadness. I couldn't do it.

I'm scared about a third time :sad: I feel much happy with myself right now! :smile: I want to fight hard and live, but I'm not too strong sometimes. :sad:

9. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

I've had my share of both types of suicide attempts. When I was younger it was all impulse, but now that I am older and smarter I know it's better to plan things out.

10. simplictic

simplictic New Member

my first was impulsive and i came very close
    but i woke up in a hospital :sad:

11. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

I have never attempted so far. And I hope I wont be able to talk about my failed attempt, because when Ill do it, I want to succeed. So, I can debate here about how would it be. I want it to be well planed, and I want the method to give 99% success. But, If I get a chance somehow to die instantly, probably I wouldnt miss it and Ill act in the moment.

12. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

So, I cant vote on the pool.
    Or, if driving with your car with top speed and asking yourself if it will all end if you crush somewhere can be a method, then we can say that I have changed my mind, because the method was very unsecure, because I beleive that its very hard to die in a car crush or car exident, so probably this can not be taken as a method or attempt.

13. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

some car crashes can be a suicide but report as some thing else. we don't really know what is in the mind of the drivers in the crashes and it is usually accepted as alcohol or speeding that may so, but no one really questions what might of alleged to the real cause of the crash rather hide it. it could be suicide and the public wouldn't have a clue

14. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

today, i was so close to the brinks of doing the implusive which is unusual for me. planning is harder to complete because you have time to back out but the method may be better. the impulsive would be easier in that your mind is so focused on the reaction of the triggered event to cause the impulsiveness and your mind won't have much time to back down.

15. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

It's amazing how many people attempt as a spur of the moment reaction to something... That tells you how many people have died regretting what they done half way through it, its so sad.

16. darkplace

darkplace Well-Known Member

my first was planned but i didnt go through with it cause someone stopped me just before
    second wasnt but i didnt take enough.

i guess the less time you spendon plannning things out the more sucessful you are. idk

17. music_addict

music_addict Well-Known Member

My first attempt was very carfully planned out. I drove to a very nice spot where the sunrise was always so beautiful. and acted out my method of CO poisoning, which i wont detail here.(i wont have someone using my idea to kill themselves on my conscience). and in fact i had lapsed into blissful unconciousness when someone found me and pulled me out. woke up in the hospital. such bad luck, 20 more minutes and there would have been no coming back.

My second attempt was much more spontaneous. everything just reached a boiling point and i took a bus to the Golden gate bridge and just stood there looking at the Bay crying. When i started to climb the guard rail some people grabbed me until the police came.

Im definetely going with the bridge next time. Just no hesitation, walk up and jump.

18. Victori@

Victori@ Well-Known Member

My first attempt was in 1997..I changed my mind...I always change my damn mind...Next was in 1998...changed my mind again...next was in 2000...stupid head and the last attempt was this year. i don't know what it is with me...I called 911 and went to the hospital.

19. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Its all too much, I probably did something similar to you but have heard if someone gets once you go unconscious you can be brain damaged did this happen?

20. music_addict

music_addict Well-Known Member

downunder, yeah actually. i now have a lot of problems with short term memory. I have a really hard time remembering things people tell me or even recognizing faces of people i recently met. and to clarify, i wasnt like that at all before i attempted.
    not fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.