ways of dealing with university and depression

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by justmeonlyme, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

depression and university... what a bad combination... they don't go well together...
    there is are a girl in my class and everyone knows she suffers with depression... she told us in the first week... she misses a lot of classes... gets a lot of extensions...
    then there is me i go to classes... i try really hard (but fail) to keep on top of the work.... dont tell anyone.... smile my way though even though underneath i feel like crying...
    should i have told people... i don't know...
    i thought i could deal with this in silence on my own but as time goes on and i fall deeper and deeper into it i dont know anymore maybe i would have been better off telling people..
    how do others deal with university and depression??
    do people know or is it hidden?
    im not really sure what this post is for... just felt the need to post...
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

YOU hun should not fight this illness alone ok Definetly tell a councelor so you can get the extra support you need to be successful ok You can talk to them and they will get you the help you need when you are feeling so low. You do not have to tell everyone just the professionals who can get you more time when needed to do assignments etc ok Talk NOW hun so you don't fall behind hugs
  3. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

idk... ive had alot of bad experiences with counselors....
  4. NickA8326

NickA8326 Active Member

I get through this because I chose to get a degree in a profession that is my passion, and I visualize me having a good house at a good location, a nice wife/gf, and all the things that I want in my possession. I visualize me doing what I would do on my days off with an imaginary gf in my future. That's how I deal with everyone staring at me all my life because I look like a freak too. As long as I accomplish my dreams, I will be able to get through anything. Even if I somehow couldn't get my degree because of some weird thing out of my control like a 3rd world war or something, then I would do my passion in my free time and do whatever job that I could just to survive, I will always adapt to be as perfectly happy as humanly possible.

I also remember why I'm getting the degree in the first place, 1. because of feeling like I am a professional at my passion, and the other reason would be to improve the world/help people with my profession. I could always get some shit job for money, I don't directly care about money, so I never do anything directly for it.
  5. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

During my final year at uni I became very depressed. It was a mega stressful year and my mood plummeted big time. In the end I needed time out (not helped by my poor physical health at the time) and was off uni for 6 months. I believe I could have avoided taking time out if I'd spoken to uni sooner and got some extensions on my assignments. So perhaps speaking to uni about the way you are feeling could be beneficial because you may be able to get extensions on your assignments which may help take the pressure off some if you are struggling. Maybe also speak to a doctor about the way you have been feeling recently, you may need some medication to take the edge off the depression. It helped me get through my last year at uni :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.