Ways To Calm Down

Oh no.

Hello!

I'm just wondering about some anxiety-relieving techniques you may use or have heard about. My therapist offered me a few. One is putting both arms crossed on the chest and tapping your hands them whilst breathing in and out in specific timed intervals and counting the timing out loud- I haven't tried this one. Another one I haven't tried but heard about is searching for five different colors in the room, four things you can hear, three things you can touch, two things you can smell, and one thing you can taste or, y'know, something like that.

I'm curious about some anxiety-relieving and grounding techniques because I'd like something I can easily remember to do when I need to be grounded during a stressful situation, preferably something that doesn't look weird if I'm around people. Techniques that look weird around to other people that don't know what I'm doing is helpful, as well, so share those, too.

Thank you~

arbitrarybarry

arbitraryfromagier
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I have also been recommended and tried that second one about counting sensations in your environment, I think it is a mindfulness technique. I did find it useful, and it definitely fits the bill for something that will not look weird to others.

Anxiety relieving techniques can be really individual, what helps to one not necessarily will help others but here are some things I know have helped people( anxiety as well as preventing self harm) ;
Sitting on a cold floor with the back leant on wall, feeling the firm wall and floor as well as the cold against your skin.

Taking a shower (to prevent self harm suggested cold shower), wash face with water...

Running/ taking a walk. Finding a place you like and feel safe at(physically and mentally) and going there( or imagining it in details)

Some find it helpful to listen to music or sing(helps with breathing and letting out feelings)

Writing down your feelings, thoughts... Some find it helpful to write stories, not necessarily something personal but containing similar situations to the one they are in or what is bothering them.

Not everyone can do it at times of anxiety but positive self talk can help (writing down throughout the day good things about yourself, the day, life and use it, reread it when you feel down)

Counting things in your surrounding, being aware of what is going on, within yourself and the outside.

Some feel like coloring or making a craft can lower their anxiety( doesn’t work for everyone)

I’ll maybe come up with some more lol ... Hope you’ll find this helpful

Oh no.

Anxiety relieving techniques can be really individual, what helps to one not necessarily will help others but here are some things I know have helped people( anxiety as well as preventing self harm) ;
Sitting on a cold floor with the back leant on wall, feeling the firm wall and floor as well as the cold against your skin.

Taking a shower (to prevent self harm suggested cold shower), wash face with water...

Running/ taking a walk. Finding a place you like and feel safe at(physically and mentally) and going there( or imagining it in details)

Some find it helpful to listen to music or sing(helps with breathing and letting out feelings)

Writing down your feelings, thoughts... Some find it helpful to write stories, not necessarily something personal but containing similar situations to the one they are in or what is bothering them.

Not everyone can do it at times of anxiety but positive self talk can help (writing down throughout the day good things about yourself, the day, life and use it, reread it when you feel down)

Counting things in your surrounding, being aware of what is going on, within yourself and the outside.

Some feel like coloring or making a craft can lower their anxiety( doesn’t work for everyone)

I’ll maybe come up with some more lol ... Hope you’ll find this helpful
This is very helpful! Thank you for the suggestions~

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
A personal favourite of mine is having a fan on, with a window open (even if its cold) and just laying there waiting for the anxiety to pass.

Music also helps me through those very anxious times. It takes the edge off at least.

Reading through the replies on this thread has been amazing, I hope you find something that works for you.

nihilistic

My go-to things are:
For intrusive thoughts, I say a string of random numbers either out loud or in my head. It feels like clearing my brain cache.
For self-destructive thoughts, I like to sing them aloud. Can be done without drawing attention, haha. By singing the thoughts, it makes them feel lighter and sometimes even silly.
For anxiety issues, it really does depend on a lot of factors, but generally going outside helps me. My anxiety makes me feel trapped inside my body, and then being trapped inside a building or vehicle just amplifies the trapped feeling, so going outside relieves some of that. Also, as dumb as it may seem, a fidget spinner can be helpful. It's not just a fad toy, it does what it is intended for, which is essentially to give your brain a program to run in the background so you can more easily focus on what you really want to do. There are also other toys marketed for the same purpose. And of course I can always turn to YouTube, video games, music, basic distraction tactics, as long as they're available to me. Oh, and those adult coloring books really help me, too, but I guess they fit into the distraction category. Distraction is probably the most universal answer.
I also like a good thymus thump occasionally.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00