Ways to cope with being sober

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by sk88, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sk88

sk88 Member

I've been doing drugs since the age of 15, I'm 22 now. I've finally become sober.

What do you do to stay sober? I have a lot of friends who still do drugs (they don't pressure me - but I have had some slip ups)

I don't like NA/AA meetings, I have a hard time opening up in groups.
  2. stig

stig Well-Known Member

hi Lana, i started taking drugs aged 13, i finally stopped when i was 37. 3 years ago. I found that my head worked much better, I was able to think clearly and focus my mind on what i wanted to think about. that helps me to stay sober. I enjoy hobbies that i need to think about which i can't do stoned. I enjoy a beer in the evenings which i see as a treat after working hard. Write down how much you spent on drugs over the years and see what it comes to! mine was £250,000. a quarter of a million. scary. what a waste of money. that's what keeps me sober. stay clean.
  3. fallingangie

fallingangie Well-Known Member

Just tell yourself that doing drugs will never solve the shitty problems that you face in life.... doing drugs wont let you focus on many positive things in life which could help to overcome those problems.... believe in that and stay sober.
  4. sk88

sk88 Member

I'm working on a change of scenery I'm moving across the us to go to a school in new York. Hope this will be a good change of pace.
  5. Montage

Montage Well-Known Member

Who you associate with is everything!! THat is my advice.. I only became truly clean after I changed every single one of my freinds.. it was a hard and sad thing to do.. i still love and care for alot of my old freinds but I realized I couldnt stay clean with them around doing drugs.. Good luck and if you ever need to talk let me know!
  6. SCUK2009

SCUK2009 Well-Known Member

Have something to aim for. Get into fitness and run a marathon etc, that kind of thing. It worked for me.
  7. sk88

sk88 Member

My current goal is to complete school.
  8. SCUK2009

SCUK2009 Well-Known Member

Are you not interested in fitness at all?
  9. sk88

sk88 Member

I am. I got back into it to get back to a healthier weight, I've lost about 15 lbs so far. I play sports every once in awhile. I just never have time for myself anymore. I'm working, getting ready to move to New York. I walk or take a bus places instead of driving. I also do yoga every day.
  10. bdawk

bdawk Well-Known Member

Well i started doing drugs at 14 nothing really hard till 18 and pretty much quit when i was 23....What worked for me most is going to the gym eating healthier. and always try to exceed my previous workout...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.