Ways to snap yourself out of suicidal thoughts/idealiation.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by sippingtea, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sippingtea

sippingtea Member

I hate it, I never make a conscious effort to think about my death/suicide. But the thoughts insist on popping in. Kinda like having a song in your head would be something to compare it to I guess.

Have any of you found a way to prevent it from happening. I find distracting isn't all that effective.

Edit: fuck I miss-spelt the title

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
  2. Jungle420

Jungle420 Banned Member

I think resolving the issues that are making you think those thoughts is the definitive answer, but obviously if you could do that then you wouldn't be thinking them in the first place.

I find trying to distract myself away from the thoughts also doesn't help, but if i watch something that makes me laugh then that usually works, even if its only temporary, because i find trying to watch TV or play games doesn't really do it. Try finding something that you know makes you laugh your ass off even if you are depressed

3. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with this wholeheartedly. The better the laugh, the more distracted I become. Arrested Development is almost like my cure-all to depression and suicidal thoughts, at least for a moment. And those unfixated moments, no matter how few and fr between, are very needed!

4. Degenerate Escapist

Degenerate Escapist Well-Known Member

For me, I pull out an old video game I loved in the past and try to do something new and challenging in it. It keeps me focused and gives me a goal.

There's lots of other things you can do, you just have to look around.

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Try reading about suicide and the carnage it leaves behind (no guilt tripping meant there), but it could help prevent you from acting on your thoughts.

Read,read,read-you must be interested in some novels/author, it will help take your mind away from suicide.

6. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Like Monty Python!

7. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

I have a problem with this one too. My therapist says that the more you do throughout your day, the less "space" exists for the suicidal thoughts and feelings. I know it can be really difficult to get yourself going, but if you can, then it's definitely helpful.

8. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I'll be honest sometimes i enjoy feeling suicidal, i can't explain why because i simply just don't know.

I spend most of my time playing video games, watching youtube and roaming through here, which distracts me from everything, but it's a very lonely life, well i'd hardly call it a life.

9. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

Yeah I used to play bbc2 online with the same crowd everynight,pure escapism and that kind of made my life semi tolerable.
    I don't have that anymore as I'm back at my mums house like a fucking leech so the grim reality has set in now again.

10. sippingtea

sippingtea Member

Ok, I'll try. Thanks guys.
    Fuck, are you me?

11. Chronny Depp

Chronny Depp Member

Whoa...I'm not the only one that only does that and never gets outside XD
    and yes, feeling anything at all is more enjoyable than not feeling. Hence, I enjoy it too to some extent =P

Is that bad? Will that have horrific consequences? Should it have horrific consequences? (too tired to keep typing) Night

12. L108935

L108935 Well-Known Member

The thing that's been getting me out of the suicidal thoughts is Wellbutrin (antidepressant). I find that neurochemicals are very much responsible for negative thoughts in general.

13. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

Origami.
    It's good for anxiety attacks too.
    Keeps me completely focused on something else and patient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.