We are not attention seekers.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by jmjj, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmjj

jmjj New Member

Some people look at someone when they say they are depressed, and make it seem like they are self seeking and only looking for attention and pity. That our problems aren't "bad enough" to be depressed. It's not all about our problems it's about how we think about things and how we handle things. I'm always afraid to tell people because they think I need attention. I don't need attention I need help. Genuine help. Right now though I don't feel like i can tell anyone that I'm depressed and thinking about suicide. If i did, they still wouldn't believe me.
  2. Fumahol

Fumahol Active Member

It can be a good thing for wanting attention and a bad thing also, the attention you want is good. There is nothing wrong with that.
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I hate when people think I just want attention...or that my problems aren't worthy of discussion...I always hear "someone has it worse than you". Of course I understand that, but that doesn't mean that depression isn't less of a problem. Your problems are just as important as anyone else's. You should tell someone that you're thinking of suicide, at least then you can get the help that you need.
  4. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

Its not something I want most people to know about...because they judge you for it..
    People ask why are you down all the time..? Why do you have no friends?
    Its because people move away from you because your "a downer". If you tell them..
    They think I dont want to be around her.. shes just exaggerating..shes just attention seeking.
    So its easier not to tell anyone. :/ which makes it worse.
  5. Fergul9

Fergul9 New Member

Perfect example of this is my mother. She says she doesn't understand how I'm feeling but she is worried about me. I tell her I am going to phone in and take some time off work because I need breathing space and a bit of time to get my mind back on track. The first thing she says is 'yep, that's a great idea, just tell them that you have a really bad earache or something'. No real need to then wonder why i think admitting depression has stigma involved when your own mother would never understand the irony of what she's just said.
  6. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

Different people handle depression differently. My recommendation would be to write down what the issues are, and see what advice you would give to someone else. Using this you could look objectively at it, and see if you could implement anything that you would advise. It could be a diary, or speaking to doctors or therapists, or just sitting down one to one with a buddy on here/in the chatroom (private messages).

I'm hoping I can get out of my own slump this way. But someone who understands is easier to talk to.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.