We Kill Our Bodies, But We Can't Kill Our Consciousness

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Tranquil, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tranquil

Tranquil Member

So I decided to create a new thread as I thought it might catch your attention better than the first post I made on the Spiritual Consequences Of Suicide http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?138973-Spiritual-Consequences-Of-Suicide

When we attempt to kill ourselves, we are actually only killing our body, not our soul consciousness or consciousness, which means that everything we are experiencing here, we will experience on the other side only we will not have any of our friends, family or things that are helping us on this side.... they won't be on that side. I'm not sure if that includes medications or if we will still feel pain however I have read that we will have to experience our lives up until our natural death. Isn't that enough to reconsider suicide? I know it is for me, even though I have not yet found a solution, I always think about the fact that if this is true, I certainly do not want to experience the same stuff I'm experiencing now on the other side without a moment of relief. I do feel good at night sometimes however unfortunately my day always starts the same and I just want to hit the reboot button and start over, yet I know that from everything I've read and studied, it's not that simple and we will only make it worse for ourselves. It is possible that in us trying to escape our emotional pains, we are actually only going to make them increase since we will have shed our physical bodies, so our suffering could actually be more intense.
  2. Luie

Luie Well-Known Member

Well think about it this way: If Depression causes physical effects in the brain that affect our consciousness, wouldn't eliminating the physical form also eliminate any illness that physical form is causing on the conscious mind?

Not that I believe in that stuff, I'm just following your assertion logically.
    If that's the case, problem solved.
  3. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

I recommend the reading of

‘What About Suicides?’

Please allow a moment for the file to load.

With love - Aquarius

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
  4. Luie

Luie Well-Known Member

"As incredible as this may seem to you now, if you are feeling suicidal and are reading this, it is nonetheless the truth, as each new lifetime on the Earth creates a plentiful supply of fresh opportunities for resolving outstanding issues, mending and healing any disturbed relationships that have been left behind, and repaying our Karmic debts."

You can assert that any woo is true within the hippie thought space.
  5. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Consciousness is a product of the mind, and the mind is a product of the brain. The brain is part of the body. When the body dies, so will it.

Nothing of our bodies will survive its death except flesh that will decompose and become part of the food chain to feed other living things. We should focus on what actually will survive, and I believe it is our legacy. The way others remember us for how we loved them, the things we did for them, perspectives, knowledge, discoveries, inventions and creative works that we shared during our lives are what will outlive our very mortal consciousness.

I do believe when someone dies, they only truly are dead if no one remembers them, no one mourns them, they are unloved, and did nor shared nothing of value when they were alive. That's what I believe is the real afterlife - what people remember and what's left from you after your life.

This is it, imo. This life and a chance to use this consciousness for something that can outlive our bodies, such as ideas, is all there is for us. What are we going to do with the time we have left? Share it with someone else? Be the best we can be at everything we do? Be helpful to and inspire others? Create? Destroy?
  6. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

I 100% disagree with this.
    While this sounds really nice... trust me. You can lose parts of yourself, other parts can become emphasized, and you can literally go insane not being who you think or want to be.

Experience on the other side.... I love people who chat about this stuff. Tell me, how was it on the other side.
    Ohhh that's right. You don't know what you're talking about. You just want to believe that. Which is fine... Not too sure encouraging "peaceful soul harmony" on the "otherside" is a great thing to talk about on a place about suicide. But fuck maybe im just close minded now a days.
  7. Luie

Luie Well-Known Member

8. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

I don't believe in God anymore, so it's not an issue for me. I believe that when we die we just return to dust.
  9. ceaseless_echoes

ceaseless_echoes New Member

You could at least make an attempt to prove that the soul consciousness is not killed with death (or that it even exists). Instead you just take it for granted in first sentence, and then tell us what we should do based upon this supposed truth. Why should I believe that my soul will outlive my body?
  10. Guestor

Guestor Member

"Consciousness" is entirely dependent on our physical bodies - without your brain, you cannot think. It is simple as that. I do not know if there is something after death. But I can safely say that we do not stay around as ghosts.

Edit: Well, Prinnctopher's Belt beat me to it. With a better explanation to boot.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.